You may have noted that my blogs, of late, have consisted of titles of one word questions without the question mark. Seems that these questions are good starting points for some of my musings. In Journalism (which never attracted me) the students are told when writing their stories to always consider WHEN, WHERE, WHO and WHAT. If any of these are lacking the story is not complete. To that could be added HOW and WHY but if answers to those questions are included in the story it is getting into speculation and more suited for an opinion piece or an editorial. Nevertheless, these days, we have many reporters who are trying to change the world by inserting their opinions into the news. We have to take most stories with a grain of salt and consider the source. One only has to have personal knowledge of an event to know how distorted it can become in a newspaper or television story.
Back to WHERE. If someone were to ask you where you are the answer is easy. If they asked where are you going you may also think the answer is easy. However, if you analyze both questions the answers are not easy. You are never at rest. At any time you may be moving in many directions and not know it. For example: You are moving with the Earth's rotation; you are moving with the earth in its revolutions around the sun; you are moving with the solar system - the sun is moving with its planets; you are moving with the slow rotation of the galaxy; the galaxy is moving in its own direction; the galaxy is moving in another direction with its small group of galaxies; the group of galaxies is moving also with a still larger cluster, and so on.
Where we are ultimately going is a question we cannot answer. However we will end up in some location and what awaits us there depends on how we have lived here. The usual pictures you see of celestial beings floating on a cloud and playing a harp are nonsense. I suspect that our ultimation destination will be filled with wondrous things, and much to do to keep us busy and happy and hopefully most of us will be pleased with our new home.
Next question is WHERE we are in reaching our life goals. Are we better now than we were 5 years ago? Ten years ago? Are we making progress or are we treading water? What you will be tomorrow you are now becoming. Where you happen to be can be a big determinent of your conduct. It is easy to go places where temptations are rampant and difficult to resist if you have knowingly gone there. So location is important. Let us be WHERE we know that we belong and where we can make the most improvement in our lives.
Friday, November 9, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I find this is definitely true with my emotional/physical/spiritual wellbeing. One day I am happy with "where I am" and the next day I feel like I'm a million miles from where I want to be. It's hard for me when people ask me how my kids are doing with special education, because "where they are" changes every day. It goes backwards and forwards. I find it more important to concentrate on where I am going and make sure I'm working toward that goal over all. My location is relative anyway, as you say.
Location, location, location! These are times when one certainly must strive to think for oneself. I love your description of where we really are physically and cosmically, and your testimony of where we may end up eternally. I am reading the old classic Pilgrim's Progress and yesterday enjoyed Bunyan's description of Christian's final destination.
I love considering the cosmic proportions of where we are, and being blown to smithereens by it. Reminds me of Abraham saying, "Now I know the man is nothing, which thing I had never supposed." I agree we have to be watchful and mindful of where we are in relation to the Lord as we go through our lives in this wonderful and dangerous world. And from your description of our relative movements through space, I now realize why it feels like I'm being pulled in 10 different directions at once--because I really am!
Post a Comment