One has to take advantage of time and inclination to do things at my age. Old age has been defined as the time when you do fewer and fewer things for the first time, and more and more things for the last time. Since I am on a roll (this is the fourth Post in the last week) I had just as well continue it and try to get my one Word question titles finished. After this one I only have WHO left.
Perhaps this is a good opportunity to explain just WHAT my Blog is, in my view, and what it is intended to accomplish (hopefully). I have a journal but have not written in it for about a year. In a way these Posts are intended to supplement my journal. I write when the inclination strikes me about a topic that I have been thinking about or would like to share. Unlike a novelist or writer I do not agonize over or rewrite anything. It all comes off the top of my head by drawing on memory. The quotes I use are mostly from memory and are not guaranteed to be verbatim. I do, however, occasionally look up a quote if my memory is not sufficient. Other than that the only changes are corrections of typos.
One thing you can be sure of of is that I believe the things I write about and wish to convey to anyone who reads my Blog that these are my firm opinions and convictions whether or not the world agrees or disagrees. I am encouraged by many favorable comments. I know that I am largely preaching to the choir since access is limited, but the knowledge that many read and do not comment spurs me on. Any interest is an incentive to write.
With the anniversary of the Battle of the Bulge coming up I will be writing about that time sometime soon. It is not something that I necessarily look forward to since it is a rather dark part of my life. However, I would like my posterity to know about what happened and leave a record of some kind. There are some references in my Journal about those times. After I returned from overseas I was Co. Clerk at Camp Roberts for a time. I wrote a fifty page single space account of my experiences. I let a few people read it and it then disappeared so we do not know what happened to it. If anyone has any recollection, let me know. I will try to re-tell the story from memory. So, this is WHAT it is all about and I only hope that something I say will be of value to those who are interested.
Sunday, November 11, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Dad, I think this blog is an absolutely great thing for you to do with your writing inclinations, whenever they incline themselves. I never knew you wrote a 25,000-word document of your war experience! I sincerely hope you can re-create it.
All good things come from God. Many are corrupted by Satan. That should not take away from the inherent goodness of the thing. The internet is a perfect example. While it has been misused by evil people, we don't have to partake in the evil. We can use it for good. Your writings have been wonderful, insightful, thoughtful, and surely received with joy and gratitude by those of us who know and love you. Curious how this new technology motivates you to keep your "journal" here, and, I must say, to the great benefit of we who read it. May you write many blogs for many years.
I think it is awesome that you keep a blog. In fact, I often times refer to it for reference and discussion topics among my friends and my boyfriend. I am always interested to see what is on your mind. And it is a good source for journal writing as well. I had a hard time keeping a journal, then I realized between my letters to Drew and my blog, then I am well off. So, even though it is a bit more public than a journal, a blog is still a good source for releasing your inner thoughts. Look forward to future posts!
i really hope that someday in my life i can write as eloquently and profoundly off the top of my head as you do.
I don't visit too many blogs but this one is one that I check daily for updates. While a blog can be whatever anyone wants it to be, yours is what more blogs ought to be. Thank you for sharing.
Barry
Post a Comment