Wednesday, November 7, 2007

WHEN

Much has been written about the last days. About all we know for sure is that the time of the end of the world as we know it has not been revealed. No one knows when that may be. We have, however, been given many signs and predictions of the events that will herald the beginning of the end. The Chaos in the Middle East is one of those predictions. Moral decay is another. Proliferation of Information (the Internet) is another. So we do see the handwriting on the wall and know that the end cannot be far away. It is foolish to predict, but there are still a few things left to be fulfilled before the end comes. Nevertheless, we should keep our lamps trimmed so as to be ready for an event that may happen during our lifetimes or may yet be hundreds of years away. (I would not say thousands).

Another "When" that concerns all of us is the day of our own demise. Kids never think of this since time goes so slowly that it seems that day is too far away to even think about. They have their whole lives ahead of them. As we grow older we become aware of the certainty of death and think about it more - the older we are the more we think of it. I have never gone along with the common belief that ones time is fixed such that death will inevitably occur at a certain time that has been predetermined by God. To be logical one would have to believe that a plane crash was predetermined such that all those whose time was up would be on the plane and then it was somehow caused to crash. This is entirely inconsistent with free agency. If we, in the exercise of our agency do a death causing act one could hardly say that we did it because our time was up. That would not be free agency since the act would have to be caused by an outside agency to meet a predetermined schedule if our time was actually "up".

Often we hear it said of someone who has died, perhaps prematurely, that they died "doing what they loved to do..." The decedent could hardly be mollified by that comment even if he could hear it. I hope no one says that of me even if the event occurs when riding my bicycle or eating my favorite meal. Premature death is always tragic and is often never explainable to anyone's satisfaction. We just have to have faith that unforeseen and tragic events will occur in this world where the future is unpredictable. Ultimately there will be justice for all and it will all be made clear to us. "For now we see through a glass, darkly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then shall I know even as also I am known."

No I am not predicting my imminent demise - but who knows how or when that will occur for any of us. Let us prepare for the worst and live for the best as long as we can.

4 comments:

Lili and Jeff said...

Very true Grandpa. It is very interesting to see how the world has changed when speaking to older generations. So many of my friends have given in to the ways of the world due to internet and other evils that are now very popular and seen as good things. I try to remind them that this is our only chance to prove our loyalty on this earth, but apparently temporal things are more important. But like you said, we need to be ready at any point, whether it is because we go naturally or when Christ comes. I am very grateful for you, Grandpa, and all your wisdom which was passed onto my mother, which allowed me to have a very good upbringing. Thanks ever so.

Cami said...

Yes, when? I ask that question a lot. When will my kids start listening to me/growing up a little/learn to get themselves dressed? When will I move on to the next phase in my life? When will I travel or learn something new? I sometimes forget to think about "when" in terms of death--rather I think "what if." The "what if" inspires fear, while the "when inspires contemplation and planning. It's a much better way to live.

Unknown said...

If one wishes to be "ready" when "when" comes, I highly recommend developing a close loving relationship with Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ, and taking the Holy Spirit as one's guide. One resource is the excellent book by James Cox, How to Qualify for the Celestial Kingdom Today.

I believe all of what is said about the recently deceased in funeral services and conversation is designed for the comfort of those left behind. Or why would it be said? The deceased is not affected by any comments. Many find conscience-salving and grief-assuaging comments to be helpful, so such comments are offered up, for what they are worth.

As for me, I look forward to the Second Coming with great anticipation, for which event I continually pray. And if my time is "up" before then, I look forward to that, too.

Thanks for the insight. Love it.

Janice Graham said...

Yes. And whenever I get discouraged or start to doubt what I believe to be most important, I remember the simple fact that everybody dies. In a strange way, this reassures me. There is a purpose, meaning, and end to this life, so, I must do the very best I can.