Wednesday, November 28, 2007

DRAFTED

Several have asked for more on my military experience. Since I wrote a 50 page single space typed narrative which has disappeared, I thought the best thing to do would be to try and re-create it from memory so long as I have one. It will be broken up in segments with different titles but will be in chronological order (except for OO-TAY-AH-HA, one segment already written)

In the Spring and summer of 1943 the seniors at North Phoenix High School were all preparing to enter the armed services. With a group of others I tried to enlist in the Air Force. We were examined at Luke Field. Turned out I had high blood pressure (excitement) and they turned me down. About a month later I was drafted and my blood pressure was normal. I had taken some exams and was eligible for the Army Specialized Training Program (ASTP) or a similar program called V-12 in the Navy. A Navy man tried hard to get me to go in the Navy but I could not see myself in bell-bottom trousers, nor did I relish the idea of being on a ship in wartime in sub infested waters. I had always imagined myself as a land soldier so I went into the Army. As it turned out I would probably have avoided combat service in the Navy since the V-12 program was continued till the wars end while ASTP was closed when they needed more soldiers after the Normandy invasion.,

On July 16 1943 I was sworn in to the Army and shortly thereafter departed by train for Fort McArthur, San Pedro Calif. What a pleasant summer climate. Those of you who know Arizona know how hot it is in the summer and it was great to feel those cool sea breezes at San Pedro. The two weeks there was pleasant indoctrination, drill, learning the ropes etc. A group of us then left for Fort Benning Ga. for basic training which was required before going to College in the ASTP program. It was a four day train trip with no berths and no air conditioning through the South.

Basic Training was tough. Full packs on all marches; lots of firing at the range. I had a knack for shooting and scored the highest (expert) in the M-1 Rifle, Browning Automatic Rifle, Carbine, and sub-machine gun. We had many long marches. I well remember falling asleep on my feet during one all night march. I caught myself just before falling all the way down. The food was good and plentiful and lots of sundries were available in the PX. When it was all over in 13 weeks we were assigned to a University. Mine was Arkansas State College in Jonesboro Ark. Before the semester started we had 9 days leave. Air travel was not available and the best I could do was take a train to Oakland, Calif. The family was living then in nearby El Cerrito. It was a four day trip in coach and I only had one day at home before heading back to Arkansas on another four day trip. It was a grind but I never regretted taking the trip for that one day at home.

I was treated royally during the one day and night visit at home. We went on an auto trip across the ferry to San Rafael and got in a lot of quality visiting. I left with very warm feelings about home and family. They all made me feel special and that feeling remained helping me through the trials in the months to come.

4 comments:

Cami said...

My mom and I were just talking about your high blood pressure moment. Seems like a lot of physical "problems" are psychologically based. I'm sure it was nice to have a day at home after all that work and what was to come.

Lili and Jeff said...

This is very interesting Grandpa. You have such an amazing memory, and tell things so illustratively. Like Cami said, it seems like that trip back home was a much needed boost. You were are so brave.

Unknown said...

Lots of changes in the last 64 years, eh? A/C, faster travel, etc. Sorry for your high blood pressure. If you had been in the air during the war, who knows what you would have done after. Everything we know could be completely different. Sweet, the way you traveled long and hard for a one-day visit at home.

melody said...

Thank you so much for writing these memories. I haven't checked blogs for a while, so when I saw you had written seven more posts, I was excited to get reading! I love how you describe your feelings after briefly visiting home. That's what family is for, huh?