From New York we went to Ft. Dix N.J. briefly and received travel and furlough orders. I had a two week furlough and after that a two week stay at the Miramar Hotel in Santa Barbara, Calif. with all expenses paid. We were given back pay and a one grade promotion which made me a Corporal. I took the train to SLC as my folks had moved there about the time I was reported missing in action. It was a couple of months before they learned that I was a POW. Mother had been working as a nurse at the Bushnell Army Hospital in Brigham.
After a very pleasant two weeks in Utah I went to Santa Barbara. What a contrast from the grim realities of war and starvation diet at the prison camp. It was like living in another world entirely. I had seen the very worst side of humanity. Russians in the compound next to us who were skin and bones; the ovens where many were burned - all of that was present at Stalag XIIID. It was fortunate I was an American. For some reason we were not treated to the brutality to which the Russian prisoners were subjected. The pictures and stories that you see and hear about innocent human beings being gassed by the thousands and then burned are true. I was an eye witness to some of it. There are no depths to which mankind cannot sink when it follows the rantings and ravings of a man mad with power and hatred.
After the wonderful two weeks at Santa Barbara; swimming, dancing, great bands; great entertainment etc. I reported to Camp Roberts, California, near Paso Robles. The word was that we would help train new draftees and that we all would probably end up going to the Pacific to continue the fight against Japan. Fortunately, I was selected to be a Company Clerk, responsible for the Daily Report and all of the records of the Company. It was pleasant work and it was during that time that I typed the fifty page account of my experiences . No doubt there was much more detail than I have been able to recall in these Posts because the volume of the account must have been about three or four times as long. Posts can be edited and if I think of other interesting details they can always be added.
During my time at Camp Roberts I bought an old Chrysler that ran ok and I would drive to El Cerrito every weekend. My folks had returned to California to live shortly after my return and the two weeks with them in Utah. In August along came the atomic bomb which changed things for a lot of people and saved hundreds of thousands of lives that would have been lost on both sides if Japan had to be invaded. It also made it possible for me to be discharged from the army early based on a point system. It was a great feeling when I got an honorable discharge in Dec. 1945. With some exaggeration I was heard to say that it was as if a ball and chain had been removed from my leg. The Army is necessary and I adapted to it but it was not for me long term, though some of my friends re-enlisted. I did not take very well to the regimentation; necessity for a pass to go anywhere and such things. Life for me was much better when I could make my own decisions under my own time table. So ends the army career of WSB. 2 1/2 years of great experiences I would not care to go through again. If you want to know more I will be happy to talk about it. Thanks for your interest. Comments are welcome.
Thursday, November 29, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Grandpa- I am so glad you did this!! I can't wait until our computer gets fixed so I can read all of it!!
This is an amazing story, Dad. After your experiences no wonder you have always had a good attitude about life in general. Thanks for writing it again.
I agree. One of my favorite lines in one of my favorites movies is, "what can men do against such reckless hate?" I think that is what was there, reckless hate. Thanks for sharing this Grandpa, it means a lot to me.
Cortnie Graham
I have enjoyed reading all these posts. I've been behind, but I like to save these for times I can really read them. I can't believe you witnessed some of the gassing, and all those other horrible events. I'm sure it has shaped who you are, since you were so young. Thank you for recalling all of this for us. I'm sure it must be very frustrating to have lost your other report!
Thank you for the eye witness account. It's so sad that people are denying and rewriting history nowadays to fit their political views or whatever. The whole world owes a great debt of gratitude to you and all those who fought and suffered and endured such privations and risked and gave their lives for truth and freedom. We have it too easy now. I don't think subsequent generations have a clue. It's so important that you have written it down. Thanks, Dad.
Post a Comment