Friday, September 21, 2007

TENNIS

While on the subject of sports, Tennis comes to mind. My first taste of it it came in Logan just before we moved to Phoenix. I somehow got hold of a used green tennis racket and began playing a little at the Logan High School Courts and the Court in Central Park.

At Phoenix our first home was on Edgemere Dr. near the High School. Having brought the racket with me I practiced by hitting balls against the back of the house. Seemed to help the hand-eye coordination, and I became more proficient. In my Sophomore year at N. Phoenix High I made the tennis team. Phoenix, being a year round climate, was a great place for tennis and many competed for the team. In my senior year I had worked up to #3 player on the team of 8. We played all over the State, making trips to Yuma, Tucson, Prescott, Mesa, etc. to play other high school teams. That year we won the State Championship.

Though I was the number 3 singles player, I played #1 doubles with Mark Matthews who was the number one singles player. We seemed to mesh well together. I was always good at the net which I suppose helped make me a good doubles player.

Memorable matches include one where I was against a left-handed player I was having trouble with. We split sets and he was winning the third. I changed my mind set. This guy can be beaten, I thought, and the way to do it is to be more aggressive, rather than defensive which one becomes from fear of losing. Beginning to hit the ball harder I saved 2 match points before finally prevailing. In another match, in a tournament at the Phoenix Country Club against Jerry Foster, the State #1 for awhile I won the first set and was doing well on the Second, when my strings broke and I had to use my only other racket which was definitely inferior. I lost, but gave him a good match. Equipment is much better now. Our rackets were wood and generally smaller than those used now.

Tennis, like golf, is something you can play most of your life. I continued to play in Guam and in Piedmont. We had a doubles match going at the Davie Stadium Courts for a number of years. Mike and I won the Piedmont Father's and Sons tournament! Julia got into the act and has become a very proficient player. She still plays 2-3 times a week with her ladies doubles teams at the Sports Arena. Belinda has also become a good player. She has even taken her tennis racket on some of the Tabernacle Choir Tours. She has excellent strokes. I have not played much lately - mostly just hitting a few with Julia in Moab. We like to volley a lot. Still my strongest point from the doubles matches in Phoenix.
We have had some fun doubles matches in Moab with Belinda and the Grahams and Rejholecs.

Tennis, a few years ago, was bigger than golf. However, Golf has expanded more rapidly and even has its own TV Channel now. Tennis is a great sport, however, and we still watch the tournaments and cheer on our favorites. Its a great way to get some exercise and improve one's coordination and like golf, can be enjoyed without the necessity of rounding up a "team" as is necessary in so many sports.

11 comments:

Cami said...

Oh! Another sport my entire family plays well which I have never quite gotten into. Also another one that Jake and I really want to get into. You're really quite the sportsman!

Janice Graham said...

I remember those Piedmont tournaments. Did you and Mike win it more than one time? I enjoy tennis but I am not very dedicated or competitive. A tennis instructor in college said I could be good if I worked at it. I see Belinda at the courts every now and then. Those ladies are quite consistent. Melody and I played pretty regularly all summer, with baby Julia napping in the stroller. We thought we might like to be tennis bums if we could. Just play all day. To me, tennis is the most fun way to get some exercise. I love being outdoors. Steve and I have been playing. We were going to play today but it rained. I've taught Katy and Jordan for 2 summers now. They really enjoy it. Thanks to you and Mom for teaching me this game.

Unknown said...

I remember my first experience at tennis with you. It was when I was courting Janice at BYU in the early '70s. You came to town for something, and we played our doubles against your singles--And you STILL beat us. Seems like we kept hitting them straight to you, as you never seemed to have to move, whereas you had us running all over the court.

I also remember my first real try at tennis was taking it for PE at USC in South Carolina. I bought one of those small, wooden racquets you mention. When people would ask what kind of racquet I had I would say it was a "Spaulding 495." They would go away impressed, not knowing it was a Spaulding that I paid $4.95 for at K-Mart. I wasn't doing very well until one day it was raining and the coach said we should go in the baskeball gym and hit balls against the wall. That was when I began learning to hit harder and control placement--not that I am any good at it still.

But it is enjoyable, doesn't require complicated or expensive equipment, and Jan and I have been having good times with it here at the end of the summer.

I admire your continued physical activity.

scott said...

Jan it was good to hear that you are still playing tennis and teaching it to your kids and grandchildren. Hope we can get in another doubles match or two before the grand finale. Thanks for the info on how you got started, Steve. Cami, you and Jake should take some time to give it a try.

Matt said...

Cortnie, Jack and I bought some rackets recently, and I hope we can play more now that we're closer to our tennis-playing family.

Tennis is a sport that is harder than it looks. Technically and physically.

Jonny said...

I do remember losing to you and Julia in Moab a year ago... it was a close game though, and a lot of fun.

Melody and I love to play together. I had never played before and now it is one of my favorite things to do with Melody.

Lili and Jeff said...

Wow, grandpa! I never knew you were so big on tennis! It has surely passed onto your posterity. Mum taught us all how to play as well. We should play some time grandpa!

melody said...

At first I wanted to play tennis because the skirts are stylish! While this is true, I now like the sport because it is not only good exercise, but fun and social as well. I have dreams of improving my technique and really learning to hit that ball well. Maybe I can get in some private sessions with my tennis pro relatives and learn a thing or two. Until then, I am having a great time playing at the American Fork High courts just a few blocks from my house. We will have to have a rematch on that doubles set we played a few years ago. Jonny and I still talk about how fun that was for us!

Unknown said...

Post #2 for me. But I just can't resist talking about the fun time Jan and I had playing 3 doubles sets with you and Mom 2 weeks ago, making all possible two-partner pairings. OK, so I lost 2 sets and won 1, but it was good exercise nonetheless. Actually, we should have stopped after two sets, but hey, we were there, and so were the courts, so . . .

B Jensen said...

I've always known you played Tennis. T'is a blessed sport. I hope you now remember when mom, Clark, you and grandma, and I, played at the High School in Moab last September of 2006. I hit with you for a while, definitely something I'll always remember!

B Jensen said...

You didn't mention that you and Mike beat BRAD GILBERT in the father and sons~!