I think it was Thomas Wolfe who wrote: "you can't go home again." He was right. Things change, especially the people. However a trip through memory lane can often be enjoyable.
Tonight, biking home from the office, the weather was perfect so I decided to bike through the old neighborhood. It is still familiar with most of the old and well-remembered homes still standing though occupied by very different people. I rode through the tabernacle grounds on the diagonal walk. When I biked it as a boy on the way to Primary or MIA it was gravel with a low hedge on either side.
When passing Bishop Everton's home I was reminded of the great trip the Aaronic Priesthood boys were treated to in about 1937. The Bishopric all went with us in a truck fitted in the open back with wooden benches. Being young and adventuresome we actually enjoyed the wind and the hard seats. After a day and a night in each of Bryce Canyon and Zion's Park they called a conference and took a vote on whether we would like to go on to Grand Canyon. The vote was unanimous and we had another great day and night there on the North Rim - higher and more woodsy that the more traveled South Rim. My brother Gwynn (who got to go by special permission as he was only 11 at the time) scared us all by walking a rail around bright angel point a mile above the canyon floor.
Passing the family home at 255 S. 2d East (In those days it was always 1st and 2d East or West, never 100 or 200 as now) I noted that the Elm tree by the driveway, which was about a foot thick at the base is now about 6 or 8 feet thick at the base and huge, but still the same tree. Our old iron fence is gone as is the tin ditch (replaced by concrete) but the house is about the same. The front yard seems very small but it seemed bigger when I mowed the lawn and trimmed under the fence with hand clippers. When we left for Phoenix I remember Dad had a hard time selling it and finally got about $3000 of which only a few hundred was his equity. About 20 years ago it was for sale for $65,000 and now I am sure it would go for more than that. We kept a cow and 500 chickens in 3 coops and small barn in the back. Also had a great garden. The lot is only about 60ft. wide but 300 ft deep. The lot went half way through the block and a block is 660 ft including 60 ft. to the middle of the road on each end. When we moved there in 1934 I was 8 yrs old and walked from the Ellis School with Joyce to the new house the day we moved.
Turning up 3d South I passed the old Skanchy's store where we got 6 for a penny caramels. I liked the maple nuts, but they came in chocolate and butterscotch also. The store has now been converted to a residence of sorts. Most of the older homes are still in pretty good shape, but on the whole the neighborhood is not quite as nicely kept as it was back in the good old days.
Passing Wilson School I was reminded it was about 1/3 the size it is now. I attended grades 3-6 there and won the school and then the city marbles championship in sixth grade. Always walked to school (or biked) and went home for lunch.
More comes to mind but this is a test Post. Trying to see if this sort of thing is of enough interest to attract any comments from my esteemed and valued commentators.
Wednesday, September 12, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Are you kidding Grandpa? This is exactly the type of stuff I like to read about. It so fun to hear about your childhood. It's amazing to compare the way the world has changed. I'd love to hear more about your adventuresome boys days. 6 for a penny caramels!? Where can I find a store like that. I bet it's been interesting to see how your neighborhood has changed. Thanks for your memories.
Yes, I'm very interested! This is the reason I take copious notes and take pictures and videos of all the places we've lived. When we left Provo, I even took a video tour of every place I wanted to remember from my time there. Jake and I also took pictures all over BYU campus, because we know it will be so different later on, if our kids go there, and it was so fun to see pictures of my mom and dad on campus when they were young. It's fun and interesting to see how things change. And it sure sparks memories to go home. I barely recognized my neighborhood when I was there last month!
What a teaser! Yes, OF COURSE we want more. I love hearing these memories directly from you. Wow, that trip sounds adventurous. I think you should get the great-grandkids together and teach them how to play marbles. Are you still that good???
I like traveling down that lane, and do it frequently in short snatches. I guess it is why I like to go to St. Cloud when we visit Orlando. And, you're right--you can't go home again, except in your mind. My childhood places have changed, too, but my memories are still there. One crazy example is the house my dad built in 1960 on Lake Lizzie just outside St. Cloud, FL, for $15,000. When we visited there last year, it was up for sale for $750,000. Nope, you can't go home again.
Really, I loved this post. I loved the one when you told us about your paper route and riding your bike. The way you describe things makes it easy to picture it in my mind and for a moment I'm there. Even though I didn't live at that time I get a certain feeling of familiarity.
Keep it coming!
This post definitely passed the test! As all other above have said, I love the nostalgic stories. It's like your personal history in little bits. Please keep your wise words and charming stories coming.
Here's a comment...That is very impressive the memory you have! I always like hearing what it was like in the good ole' days. Keep writing..Susie and I love reading your blog.
Post a Comment