Thursday, September 20, 2007

GOLF

My dalliance with golf began at about the age of 11-12 in Logan. Ray Welch, who lived around the corner was a Caddie at the Logan Country Club and got me interested. The Course at the time was only 9 holes so they played it twice. The Caddie fee was 50 cents for 18. Some days I caddied 36 holes or more and often got a small tip so it was pretty good money for the times. Tournaments were big events. I remember one day I got a dollar tip!

When not busy we were sometimes allowed to hit balls and play at times assigned to Caddies. Other times, when not busy we went out and looked for golf balls. In those days the principal brands were Titleist; Maxfli; TopFlight. However, the covers were quite thin and not nearly so tough as they are now. A slight mis-hit with an iron would open up a cut on the ball of varying size. I big one made the ball unplayable. I would say that over 60% of the balls we found had cuts on them. It was quite a find when we could come up with an unmarked one that looked new. I enjoyed those searches so much that it must have become engrained in me since I still enjoy l0oking for golf balls on walks around the Logan Country Club and Moab Golf Course.

After we moved to Phoenix in 1939 I did not have much chance to play golf. In about 1941 we moved to 712 E. Osborn Road which was right across the road from the Phoenix Country Club. I walked across the Course to N. Phoenix High School often. One memorable event was the Western Open then played there. I watched Byron Nelson win one of his many tournaments there that year. (He won 11 in a row - a record which still stands.) The crowds were small and I do not remember that they even charged spectators anything. About the only golf I played there was sneaking over in the evening and putting on the 17th green, right across from the house. The High School did not have a golf team - I played on the tennis team about which I will write more later.

Golf was almost forgotten until we moved to Guam in 1956. The Navy had a nice Course which I found I could play as a government official (Island Attorney). That Course and Windward Hills kept us playing during the years in Guam. I got my handicap down to 8 for awhile there. We enjoyed playing as a family many times at Windward Hills. Julia got started there, as did Mike. Cathy & Janice played a little but not very seriously.

Golf is a continuing challenge. No one ever gets it down perfectly though some come close for intermittent periods. Julia and I still play 9 holes a few times a month, in season, and enjoy it. Have had one hole-in-one (#4 at Logan G&CC in about 1984. Mike has had 3, including #4 at Moab and one in Monticello. It is not an obsession, but it has been an enjoyable diversion for many years. Heres hoping I have a few more left to enjoy.

6 comments:

Janice Graham said...

This was so interesting! I don't remember actually playing much golf on Guam but I remember being at the course a lot,washing balls in those little machines and such. You must have had to be patient! Once when I was really little I was playing at a little playground there and got a grain of sand in my eye and Mom took me to the doctor. Ouch! I always liked how you enjoyed golf and hope you continue to. You've always been so tan and fit.

Unknown said...

I think I started golfing about 10 years ago or so. It was when you made a comment about some relative being a pretty good golfer. I thought, why not me? So I got a few clubs from D.I. and started going to the range, until I got up the nerve to suggest to you that we might go out for 9 holes. I still have not improved much, but enjoy it nonetheless. I have wondered why I didn't learn as a boy, what with hundreds of courses all around me in South Carolina. I have concluded it was because I was left-handed, and none of my friends were, so I couldn't go out with them and use their clubs. And my left-handed dad wasn't sports-minded at all. Especially about golf, and so didn't have clubs for me to learn on. So I have you to thank for my learning to golf. And you've always been so kind and generous and not denigrating when we've played together. Thanks for the good times!

Cami said...

You were always so nice to try to take us kids golfing. I remember Stacia and me just hitting our balls along as we walked until you just told us to go to the country club so you could get in a few holes! Jake always wants me to go to the driving range with him too, but somehow it never works out. One of these days I'll follow your example!

Cade said...

My first exsposure to golf was from you when you took Cody and I to LCC for a round. Haven't played much in the last few years but now that I live on a Golf Course I have been playing. In Fact Cody and I just played a round yesterday at Cedar Hills!

Jonny said...

I really enjoy golfing, albeit that I'm nothing spectacular. I have hit a few pars and one birdie.

I go once or twice a summer. We really need to get out sometime. I never learned from anyone and it would be great to just get one or two pointers.

I also enjoyed walking around the course in Moab and finding balls. Oh and thanks for all the balls that you offer us to "use, lose, or take home".

Amber said...

Todd has loved playing golf with you. He finds it very peaceful at the course and it helps him relax. Although, as of late, most of his golfing is business related. Not quite as relaxing, but still golf!