Monday, October 8, 2007

OO-TAY-AH-HA

The German officer was interogating me after I was pulled from the line of cold, hungry, prisoners returning to Stalag XIIID in Nurnberg. It was January 13th 1945. We had been on a detail to help bury the more than 4,000 people killed in a massive air raid the night before. They were buried in trenches, probably without much identification. We had worked on many details since arrival at the camp on Dec. 27, 1944.
On earlier details we had been cleaning out a bombed SS office building. I found 2 or 3 stale biscuits on the floor - apparently dinner had been interupted. They tasted like cake as our diet consisted of 1/7 loaf of black bread per man per day. During the cleanup I had found some silverware, including knives, which I had secreted in the barracks. A search during our absence uncovered the cache and one of my compatriots had told the searchers who they belonged to. It was for that reason that I had been pulled from the line.
When asked, I told the officer I was born in Logan, Utah. The steno inquired how to spell "Utah" and the officer petulantly spelled it out: OO-TAY-AH-HA. I have never forgotten that interview or the 13 weeks of solitary confinement that followed it, after being told that I would probably be shot after a trial.
The cell, measuring 4 ft by 8ft. was in a building of one story. A long building with cells on either side of a long hallway. It was not really solitary for some of the time as there were three of us for about two weeks; then two for a couple of weeks, then I was alone for the final time except for the bed bugs, lice and fleas. Our bedding was a straw tick on a wood bunk. Two slept on the bunk and one on the floor and we rotated when there were three of us. Plumbing consisted of a wooden bucket in the corner. There was a window but a box over the window, open at the top, kept us from any sunshine or seeing outside.
Thanks to the Red Cross I had use of three books; a Bible; How Green Was My Valley, and the Royal Road to Romance. All were read more than once. I also had a little address book in my pocket with a map of the U.S. in the front. From it, I drew all of the states and put in all of the cities I could think of. Still have it. Also drew a map of the U.S. on the cell door - the crusty old jailor insisted I "waschen' it off but I never did. While alone in the cell, a frenchman, opened my door when the jailor was not looking and gave me a wooden handled pocket knife. In words and signs he indicated he was going to a court martial and would not be back. I put it inside an empty pepsodent toothpowder can and it was never discovered. I still have it.
In early April I was told I would be tried in Nurnberg at the Court House. (the same Court House where the Nazi's were later tried and convicted) After a long wait during which I learned from others waiting, that the Americans had crossed the Rhine, I was told the trial had been postponed. During the walk back to camp (about 3-4 miles) I found and ate some dandelions - The first greens in many months.
Liberation came on April 17, 1945 when tanks came through the wire. We had been shelled for hours before - the 45th Div. not being aware our area (next to the Nazi Stadium) was a prison camp. I was there when they blew up the big Swastika on top of the Stadium. (More on this topic, later)

11 comments:

Emily said...

Wow Grandpa! I have never heard any of your war stories, that I can remember. I recall a time when I was too young to listen and pay attention that you might have told some. I am awe-struck. I can't imagine what you have been through. It really puts life into perspective. Thanks for sharing this. I know it must be hard. You already amazed me before with all you wisdom, but now I am seeing a whole new layer of it. I would LOVE to hear more.

Matt said...

I still am amazed that you were in a place like this. But even more impressed that your memory of it is so vivid and complete. Thank you for sharing this treasure, and for enduring that terrible place.

sara said...

this is an amazing story! i can't believe you lived through this! i am loving your memories and history. it's so great that you are keeping this blog. keep the stories coming!!!

Cami said...

I've heard parts of this story before, but I never knew why you were put into solitary confinement or how you came across those books. It's really such a different life than most of us will ever have to lead. I'm glad you were not shot after trial! I'm looking forward to the next installment.

Lili and Jeff said...

I can't believe you went through that Grandpa. You are so very brave, and it just goes to show that Heavenly Father is really looking after all of us. After everything you went through, you then went on and continued to live your life, bringing forth children and grandchildren to carry on your Legacy. Thank you for sharing Grandpa!

Janice Graham said...

Wow. The title of this post is very intriguing. What an amazing account. I really appreciate the descriptions and details. It's hard to think about how you endured all that. Thank you for taking the time to write it out. Keep it coming. We need to know.

Didn't you also make a chess set?

Unknown said...

You were there??? When they blew up the giant swastika?? That is one of my earliest memories of the war. Watching TV documentaries on the war, I saw that thing blow up and people cheering. I never heard any of those other things from you, either. I am glad you did your best to buck the system and cause trouble for the enemy. Good soldier.

stacia said...

wow grandpa. amazing memory and what an experience to endure. i can't even imagine what you went through. thanks for sharing, i am sure it isn't easy to relive some of this. it was great to see you this weekend, as it always is! thanks for being such wonderful hosts!

Susie said...

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. My Grandpa also served in WWII and was at pearl harbor on december 7th. I LOVED hearing him tell that story. It made me appreciate that History more and the people who were apart of it. What a treasure your blog is!

Amber said...

It is so hard to believe that you had do go through those aweful things. When I see movies about the war and the horrible condiditons, it is weird to think of my grandpa as one of those soldiers. Thank you for being such an example to our family.

B Jensen said...

Hey Grandpa, its britney. Since i don't have my own account, i must use my mothers. It is absolutely amazing to me to read your stories of WWII. Everytime i hear them, i think of what a great deal of bravery and courage it must have taken to endure those hard times. I admire you so much Grandpa and hold alot of respect for you. Thank you for sharing those stories. They will always remain vivid in my mind forever.