Friday, September 14, 2007

Marbles

Some of you expressed interest in my "Marbles" prowess mentioned in the last Post. It begins at the Ellis School on 4th West and 3d North, just a block from the house in which I was born at 418 W. 2d North. I went to grades 1 & 2 and the first half of grade three there.

At the time Marbles were very popular at all the grammar schools. Many played for "keeps" which meant that you kept all the marbles you could knock out of the ring. When I first became interested I noticed that the players could make the "taw" or "shooter" marble shoot out of their hand by thumb action. I thought at first they were squeezing it out. I was not able to do this. One morning at home it occurred to me that they were flipping the taw rather than squeezing it out of their thumb and forefinger. I tried that and lo and behold, I became a marble player. I found that it was easy and that I was quite adept at it. The best way was to hold the taw between the end of your forefinger and the knuckle of your thumb. Some shot by flipping with the thumb nail but that was not nearly so effective.

There were 2 or 3 popular games but the one that I liked and that most of us played was Ringer. You drew a ring about 6-8 ft. in diameter. Each player then put in the ring an agreed number of marbles. With three or four players there could be 15-25 marbles in the center. You lagged to a line to see who started and then knuckled down and shot at the center marbles. If you hit one and knocked it out of the ring you kept it. If you hit one and knocked it out and your taw spun in the ring you could continue shooting. It was not uncommom for a good player to just about clear the ring by continuous successful shots. I amassed quite a few hundred marbles during grammar school.

The taws or shooters were usually what we called "flints". They were of agate and were more expensive and hardy than the common marbles. I had a few of those that I really liked. I still have the one with which I won the Wilson School and City tournament in 6th grade. Will be glad to demonstrate to those interested. I have a little arthritis in my right thumb which may hinder my skills, but will do my best. (Maybe it is caused by all the marble shooting I did in my youth). Thanks for your interest. Further questions are welcome.

7 comments:

Jonny said...

I do want to see your shooting technique. I always use my thumb nail to flick the shooter marble.

Did you always go for the good looking marbles first or did you just go for the win?

Cami said...

Wow! I can't believe you still have one of your marbles. That's great. I think it really shows the value of the things you had. My kids could really care less about their games and toys (probably have too many).

How many marbles did you lose?

scott said...

Cami, I lost on occasion, but on the whole won a lot more than I lost. The object was to clear the ring, Jon, and I just shot for the nearest or easiest target with the object of hitting it square and low which would cause the taw to spin and stay in the ring. Sometimes you could get near the center and have short shots for a lot of marbles. Still have most of my marbles, figuratively speaking.

Janice Graham said...

It sounds a little like pool to me, the way you try to keep the taw (cue ball?) in the ring and clear the playing area of all the marbles. I really don't get how you used your thumb though.

melody said...

Yes, I need to see the taw demonstration too. I'm sure we'd all love to get a few pointers in the game from the apparent master! There was a time I played marbles, I believe it was 4th grade. It was short-lived though, perhaps because I never had quite the right technique.

Unknown said...

I want to see you shoot, too. I used to have about 100 marbles. I wasn't very good, not having developed my shooting skills. And my dad taught me to not play for keeps, but just for funsies. As a result, a lot of guys wouldn't play with me. But I had cat's eyes, crystals, steelies, bombers, half-bombers, quarter bombers, bumblebees, and others I can't remember the names of.

Very interesting reading. Keep it up.

Matt said...

I'd like to see you shoot the marbles as well. I had no idea you could use something other than your thumbnail! Jackson loves marbles as well. I'd like to take a picture of you with your famous marble.