Monday, September 10, 2007

Happiness

Abe Lincoln said: " most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be." While that seems very simple (most wisdom is) it also contains more than a grain of truth. We often think that we would be happier if only: (and we could all write a long list of what would make us happier, usually involving the change of conduct of someone close to us, rather than ourselves)

However, happiness is a very relative thing. Some people would be very happy to be in your shoes, while others would not. When something unexpected happens; good or bad; it can change our mood quickly one way or the other. On Saturday I was working in the front yard with an adz when all of a sudden I got a pain in my right leg and it almost gave way under me. It continued to hurt through the night such that I had difficulty sleeping despite tylenol. Next morning I remembered an ad by Peter Jacobsen on the golf channel. He said he had arthritis in his knees and could only keep playing because of Aleve. I had never tried it so I took one and within an hour the pain was gone. Twelve hours later I took another when the pain started to come back, and it again went away. This morning the pain was gone and I feel fine and apparently need no more Aleve. Even rode my bike to the office.

When something like that happens all sorts of ominous thoughts go through ones head. Amazing how many dread diseases or problems one can think of when having a painful experience. I could even see myself spending my remaining time in a wheel chair, etc. Now that the pain is gone, the thoughts are also and I am in a much happier frame of mind. This is just one example of how our moods can quickly change. Therefore, one should never look on the darker side; tomorrow will be a better day when we are down in the dumps.

I hesitated to burden you with my tale of woe, but thought this might be a good way to work it in. I have always been a firm believer in the little verse I memorized years ago:

Laugh and the world laughs with you;
Wail, and they turn and go.
They want full measure, of all your pleasure;
But they do not want your woe!

8 comments:

melody said...

I couldn't agree more. There are times I have thought, "Oh, I can't wait until this is over, then everything will be great." But something else will always come along. Thanks for the reminder to be happy with my lot in life, no matter what it is. (Well, that's quite easy to say right now, considering I don't think I could be any happier! But hopefully I will remember this truth when the next "something" comes up . . . which could be tomorrow.) Love you, Grandpa!

mylittlegems said...

Grandpa- you never could "burden us with your tale of woe"- no matter what! YOu are wonderful and we always enjoy reading your words- I have theat first quote by Abraham Lincoln framed- hanging right here by the computer.

Cami said...

Yes, it's all true. My problem is that I always find something to complain about in my present situation. It seems like heaven to other people, and yet I somehow find something bad about it. Then I always think, you can adjust to anything. There's no reason for "what-ifs" because you'd be just as content or unhappy no matter what your situation. You adjust to what life deals you. I just have to learn to be happy and grateful no matter what that situation is, instead of finding the bad.

Emily said...

Yeah, we all need this reminder every now and then. Whenever someone routinely asks me how I am at work, I actually think about how I am and usually answer, "okay", or "good thanks." When I'm having a bad day, I feel like I'm lying to them. Maybe I should use their asking me how I am to change my attitude and really have a reason to say "Wonderful, how about you?" I always loved the way you look at life Grandpa. You sure know how to make it worthwhile.

scott said...

What great comments. It is very rewarding to write a few words about a topic that comes to mind when I know that the family cares about what I say. Isn't blogging a great idea!. I have not written much in my journal this past year and will compensate by putting copies of my Posts in the Journal. Thanks to everyone.,

Unknown said...

It is interesting how one person's experience will be reflected in another's. I have been "reading" books on mp3 as I drive, mow the lawn, etc. I find examples of what you find in some books I've recently read, such as Robinson Crusoe, Gulliver's Travels, The Pilgrim's Progress, and even Jules Verne's Round the Moon.

Thanks for sharing those thoughts which remind us to not despair, but turn to God in faith that He is in charge and has custom-designed learning experiences for each of us. Our job is to get out of our experiences what He has in them for us.

Oh, and we will hear your tales, woe or not, any time.

Janice Graham said...

I like what C.S. Lewis says about trials, something like, we despair because we just don't know what God is trying to make of us.If we knew, we'd have to admit it's all good, but it sure is hard in the thick of it -- that kidney stone was a killer. Thanks, DAD!

Anonymous said...

Dad, do you remember the song we wrote? Well, I guess you actually did the writing since I was about 6. "That's the way the cookie crumbles. That's the way the old mop flops. That's the way the old ball bounces, the old clock ticks and the bunny hops. Yes that's the way it is" That's the chorus but there were also verses about missing your train or other calamities. And you typed it up with carbon copies. I took the best looking copy and you asked me where the original was, but I didn't know what that word meant. So, sorry, I guess I had it.