Friday, August 24, 2007

N525SB

Some of you will recognize the number of my Beechcraft Sierra which we ejoyed for over twenty years. I miss the convenience and fun of flying myself especially with the hassle and inconvenience of commercial flying these days.

My flying career did not start until late in life. When we were in Guam, Gene Holbrook the local golf pro at Windward Hills introduced me to flying. He took me up in a Cessna 172 which he kept at the dirt strip flying field at the golf course. After 3 or 4 lessons at no cost I was hooked. When we returned to California I took formal lessons at the Hayward Airport and received my pilots license in 1975 at the age of 50.

After a year or so of renting planes in California and then in Utah ( we moved to Lewiston in 1976 and then Logan when our house was completed in March 1977,) I bought the Beech Sierra for $49,000. Seemed expensive at the time but a similar plane now (even used) is 2 or 3 times that much. I went to Witchita Ks. to pick it up. It was quite a thrill to fly my own plane back to Ogden. For a time I kept it there and rented it when not using it. Soon however, I bought a half interest in a hangar at Logan and kept it there.

Over the twenty years or so of private flying I accumulated over 3500 hours. Some of the highlights were taking the grandchildren for rides. Julia and I also had some great trips. We flew to Canada and rented a car at Cranbrook from where we drove to Banff and tried several of the hot springs in the area. We ran into Julia's Uncle Horton and his wife at the Hotel at Lake Louise. Another memorable trip was our trip to Colorado. We put the bikes in the plane by taking off the front wheels. We flew into many of the small towns where I had worked as a missionary such as Glenwood Springs; Meeker; Paonia; MonteVista; Creede; Durango etc. At each stop we would bike into town, sometimes staying overnight at a Motel. A memorable trip I took by myself was to Saratoga Springs NY where Mike was performing. Stayed overnight at Jamestown NY on the way and at Clarion Pa. and Keokuk Ia. (from where I visited Nauvoo) on the way back.

Hopefully I had some influence in getting Cade into his flying career. I took him, Cody and Steve to Cody Wyoming where we visited the Buffalo Bill Museum. It was a memorable trip for all of us with a little turbulence over the Wind River Mountains.

It was a great run but all good things must come to an end eventually. After all, all we have in life is the present; memories and hopes. I was fortunate to have had the fun of flying and have a lot of great memories of the wonderful trips and a few close calls!

12 comments:

sara said...

To this day, I talk about you every time we drive past a small airport. I will never forget the time Drew, Ben and I took a ride and Drew threw-up. ahh... the memories! Thanks for sharing the stories!

Jonny said...

Ah... sounds like I joined the family a little too late. I remember the freedom I felt when I first had my license and could drive wherever I wanted.

I only image the feeling that comes with flying where and when you want.

Lili and Jeff said...

Wow, Grandpa! I didn't know you started flying at 50! That is awesome. It sounds like so much fun, to be able to jump in your plane and fly where ever you want. Personally I prefer Harry Potter style, on a broomstick...

Well, it looks like you had some wonderful adventures. Sadly, I think I only had one ride in your plane, but it is still one of my most vivid memories! Thanks for the fun times, Grandpa!

Cami said...

Oh, how I loved the plane rides, no matter how sick or scared I got. Although, I must say those two things only happened when you let Matt take the wheel!! Whenever I am landing in a big plane and I fly low over the ground and look out at the city below, I think of those great flights with you. Thanks!

Matt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Matt said...

The airplane rides are efinitely a classic Grandpa Scott memory. What other kids get to ride around in (and sometimes steer) an airplane with their Grandpa. So cool.

On particularly fond memory I have is from when you flew me from Logan to Washington State (I don't remember which city we landed in...Spokane?) I was joining my Drum Corps for their Summer Tour.

Here is a photo of me, from that flight. Click here for photo.

Thanks Grandpa!

melody said...

It is so fun to read stories from you r life, Grandpa. And I love the comments others make. They all take me on a delightful trip down memory lane. One time you bought me a pink pocket knife before a flight. I still have it, though it is a little dull. And I still remember the book I read during a flight - Impunity Jane.

Cade said...

Flying with you sure did influence me in deciding to become a pilot. I remember sitting in the back and watching you and my Dad sit up front and talk on the radios and flip all the switches and thought it was so cool. It looked so hard and thought you had to be pretty sharp to be able to handle everything that is going on. As a child I didn't think I would ever be able to do it, but now I do it for a living! There really isn't anything like flying GA though, since I have been flying for the airlines I haven't had a chance to take a small plane up. I am still a flight instructor and plan on maintaining my status as a flight instructor so I can teach my children and any others who want to learn to fly. I still don't have 3500 hours, one day I think I just might pass you by, but anyone who is a pilot unterstands that is A LOT of flight time! I Love my job because I get to get paid for what some people only dream of doing. Thanks for introducing me to aviation! I always think of you whenever I land in Cody Wyoming.

Amber said...

I have so many fun memories of flying in your plane. Like the time you picked Sharla and Me up and took us to Logan. She threw up all over the back seat as we landed. On the way home grandma gave us "special motions sickness pills" (vitamin C) that worked wonders! I of course, only ever threw up when Matt was at the wheel... Also, I'm sort of embarassed that I asked you to come take my friends and I for a ride as part of our date to a dance in High School. What a nice Grandpa to do that. I'm sure none of them will ever forget it!

Unknown said...

As you can see, your air career has left plenty of memories. Don't forget your first big trip after buying the Beech. We dropped amber and Matt off at my mother's and you, Mom, Jan and I headed for Guymas. I think we landed in Hermosillo. Went deep see fishing, and had great times. Thanks for the memories . . .

Anonymous said...

Stacia also had an airsick experience in the summer of about 1982. You called to see if anyone wanted to fly to Orangeville(?) to visit Uncle ??. So I came along with Chad and Stacia for an exciting Saturday afternoon. When we landed, I took Stacia's dress off in the airport bathroom and washed it in the sink and put it back on her wet. It was a hot day!

scott said...

Thanks for all the great comments bringing back old memories. Steve, I don't know why I failed to mention the Mexico trip. It was certainly one of the most memorable and one of the longest. You and Jan were great company (and still are). Cathy, it was Uncle Dave (now decased) that we wisited in Orangevill. (Mothers yourngest brother)