In the past couple of years a "new" puzzle has become wildly popular. Said to have originated in Japan it is called "Sudoku" and can be easy or very challenging, depending on what numbers are inserted in the puzzle to start you off.
When it first came out I knew it was not new. I have been doing the same puzzles for years. I always have a supply of Variety Puzzles or Dell Puzzles on hand. I buy back issues in lots of 24 or 40. That way they cost less than $1 a volume. On the newstand they are about $3.95 so it is a big saving and puzzles do not get dated.
In Variety puzzles "To The Nines", and in Dell Puzzles, "Number Place" are the same as Sudoku and have been appearing in those magazine since 1979! I quote from a comment in the Nov. 2005 Dell Official Variety Puzzles: "Already a sensation in Japan and throughout Europe Sudoku is coming back home to Dell Magazines where it first appeared in 1979 under the name "Number Place." (Dell and Variety Puzzles are both published by Dell). In any event it is a great puzzle and I recommend them. Julia has been doing them lately and she fluctuates from frustration to elation depending of her success without looking at the answers. Happy solving.
Friday, January 19, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Okay, I'll be first. I don't know about this numbers thing. I know EMily and KC do it. I bet Drew would if he weren't on the mission. (Is that allowed?) He loves crossword puzzles like you. I do know puzzles and games are great for keeping your brain sharp. They say we can actually create new gray matter! By the way, I think I found one of your puzzle books among the piano music yesterday! It looked like your writing. I remember you used to write a name down on a piece of paper in Sac. Mtg. and see how many words you could get from those letters. Keep puzzling!
I'm terrible at crossword puzzles, but I like Sudoku. I saw the same Soduku handheld computer that Emily uses, at Aldi (a local discount grocer) last night for $12.
I think I like "To The Nines". It could be shortened to "Nines."
Grandpa, What's old is new again. My mom loves these, and I do too. My mom gave all of us a big poster of them as part of a Christmas Gift- (Chad Care Kit). I like them because all you really need to know is how to count- ha ha
It is great brain exercise and we certainly don't get enough of that.
Hey Grandpa. Did you see my blog on this? I have a link to a website that you can play Sudoku, or other puzzles online. Sometimes I do it as a break when I've been staring at the screen too long with not much thinking involved. KC can tell you all about the origin in Japan. He's explained it to me before, but I forgot.
Guess the easiest way to respond to the comments is to make a comment myself. I have read Emily's blog on this subject and enjoyed it. Jan, you have too good a memory. I was supposed to be listening with rapt attention in Sac. mtg. Can't get away with anything with sharp kids around.
Post a Comment