Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Eating Alone

With Julia gone for ten days I will be fending for myself. I try to eat healthy at all times. Very little, if any meat, except fish now and then. Lots of salads. One of mine will be made in a big bowl and consist of Romaine lettuce; radishes; avocado; black or garabanzo beans; celery; red & green pepper and whatever else I can find that goes with that. (sometimes a little canned salmon or sardines). I use Zesty No Fat Italian dressing and a little horseradish sauce for dressing.

Tonight I did not feel like fixing a salad so I made an open face sandwich: Sour dough bread; horseradish sauce; sliced avocado; sliced red pepper. It tasted so good I made another one with my home made rye bread. It is heavier than most people like, but Julia and I love it. Half rye and half whole wheat flour; gluten; yeast; caraway seed; sunflower seed; flax meal. The gluten makes it easy to slice and holds it together so it does not crumble. Also add 2 tb molasses and 2 tb cocoa for color. Julia says the molasses is needed to make the yeast work right. It is pretty compact but a little goes a long way.

My morning cereal is quite well known among the grandchildren. However, it changes from time to time. Right now it consists of 1/2 cup wheat bran or bran cereal; 1/2 cup barley flakes or Oatmeal; 2tb oat bran; 1 tb flax meal. 1 tp wheat germ. I put water on it with a little creamer and microwave till hot. Then I add 1/2 cup frozen berries - usually mixed blueberries; blackberries and strawberries which I buy at the store. Lately I have been using my stock of frozen chokecherries. They taste great. I save the seeds and throw them on the river bank Someday we will have more chokecherries.

Comments are welcome. Maybe some of you have a few good ideas for solitary cuisine.

8 comments:

Cami said...

That sandwich sounds GREAT!! My favorite solitary dishes are eggs on toast, quiche (which I use over several days), and nice chicken ceasar salads. Oh, and don't forget grilled cheese and soup! That's a favorite in my house. But not all of those sound too healthy, so good luck!

melody said...

First things first. Congrats on your new blog, Grandpa! (By the way, this is Melody.) It is so fun to hear your voice through your written words. Now, concerning your latest blog. I just have to say that I would love to eat with you any time of the day! Like most of your grandchildren, I grew up loving "Grandpa Cereal" and now have my own rendition of it (usually grape nuts, bran flakes, Kashi cereal, and whatever else seems to go well). It sounds like you do a great job of fending for yourself, keeping health and taste in mind! (It's so easy to grab for that package of ramen noodles when you cook for one. It seems you don't struggle with that!) The salad and sandwich sound delicious. I don't really have any ideas for you; I typically make a plain wheat bread and tomato (with a sprinkle of Mrs. Dash) sandwich when I am alone!

Best wishes as you are alone for a few more days. Love you!

Unknown said...

Sounds like you are off to a good start for your ten days in solitary confinement. Taking care of yourself by eating well and healthful. Please come down and spend some time with us this weekend, or anytime. Stay as long as you'd like. I am sure everyone would love to have a little slice of Scott Barrett's time and attention. We love you and always have room and time for you.

Janice Graham said...

I love your blog, Dad. So glad you hung in there. Everyone is so impressed. I laughed at your phrase,"solitary cuisine." Your culinary skills and musings remind me of my childhood when you made those same kinds of interesting salads on Sunday evenings, remember? The sardines were a bit much for me but I thought you were so creative. I must have inherited some of your liking for compliling original salads -- Todd calls my leafy creations "intense." Ha.

Emily said...

There were so many days when I lived in Logan that you and grandma saved me from eating alone. I remember your stir fry and as you were serving it you said quietly "Emerils got nothin' on me." I argree whole heartedly. I will be forever greatful for those dinnners but mostlu for the company that came with it. If I'm ever gone from KC for that long, I have to wonder what he would come up with. I better print this blog out for him for ideas if that time ever comes.

Amber said...

Grandpa, I never fully grasped the concept of why you made your cereal until last year when I talked to a nutritionist lady in my stake. She told me I needed more fiber in my diet and that cereal isn't the enemy if you eat the right kind! I really like Kashii or Fiber 1 flakes-have you ever added either of those to yours? Anyway I am always amazed at what an example of health in all areas of life that you and grandma have always been to us. Todd is also learning from your example and trying not to turn out like his parents and grandparents. They have a history of bad health and bad mental health. As far as food goes, maybe cook several chicken breasts or fish fillets at once and use them in different ways and use each day. Maybe if you watch some movies it will help pass the days!

mylittlegems said...

Grandpa, Where did Grandma go? Looks like you blog is up and running. I think a blog is very therapeutic and a great way to keep in touch and keep a journal in a way. I think your cuisine sounds very good. With Aaron working a lot, I usually don't eat very healthy. Usually leftovers... I'll try and think of some ideas for you to eat- but you are doing good in my opinion. I'm so glad you are doing a blog because it allows me to get to know you in new ways! Love Sharla

mylittlegems said...

I miss Grandpa's cereal and am very glad to see that you are still enjoying it! It will be a memory forever! Sharla