Thursday, January 18, 2007

About The Writer

This morning at 7 a.m. a technician from USU came to the house to take a blood draw. I had to refrain from eating before the test. She took 3 vials of blood and said that most every test that can be done on blood will be done on mine. I asked if they were looking for some magic ingredient or lack thereof in my blood. She said: "something like that."

For over 5 years I have been a participant in an aging program conducted on Cache Valley residents by USU. Their particular concerns relate to memory losses in older citizens and diseases related thereto. I have taken a number of oral and written tests and have received comments such as: "your memory at your age is unbelievable." (Knock on wood). I have been fortunate to have retained my mental faculties pretty much intact to date. I attribute most of it to good general health; a diet that includes lots of fruits and vegetables and very little meat except fish; continued activity in my profession; and a love for puzzles which I solve most every day. Not the least of the contributing factors is a wife who keeps me active keeping up with her and a large posterity which gives us continuous love and support.

Reaching a ripe old age is desirable but not the most desirable of all scenarios. Living a worthwhile life as well and as long as you can is more important. Life to a young person seems so long that they do not even think of theirs ever ending. Many lives are snuffed our early by accident; crime or ill health, the reasons for which may not be understood. Be thankful for what you have and try to make the most of it. Making major changes in your life or relationships can be a disaster if based only on current feelings and not on common sense and adherence to committments and standards. May all who read this have a long, useful, happy and productive life.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

We have occasionally commented to each other about your (Dad's) general good health, mental acuity and positive outlook on life. I hope that when I achieve your ripe old age I will find myself in the same condition. If I follow your example in the things you listed, barring unforeseen illness, I may just make it. And it seems much closer as I grow older myself.

A while back Elise took Jan down to Gold's Gym and she signed us up. So we have been going now since about Thanksgiving. Lately I have joined a group of 3 young guys (all about 40) in doing weight training workouts. One of them is a client, Steve Nuttall. The other two, Rob and Shane, are former BYU basketball player(6'7", 6'9") friends of Steve's. They were nice to ask me to join them. I have been working out since Jan 2, and am interested to see the improvement in my strength. They said it would come up quickly, and it has. The ideal is to each of the 3 different workouts per week, which cover all major muscle groups--legs and shouldser, chest and triceps, back and biceps. It is easier working out with the guys because of the encouragement we give each other, as we all watch each other do 20, 15 and 8 repetitions on increasing weights for 9 different activities. It takes about an hour. Anyway, it is enjoyable, and I still to the cardio (running and biking) with Jan (she also does swimming). I'm hoping this becomes a habit, and am trusting that the exercise will maintain the body in good shape.

scott said...

Thanks for the great comment Steve. You reminded me that I probably left out one item and that is exercise. I have always been active in one way or another such as tennis, golf, walking, weights etc.

Matt said...

I'm lucky to have people around me committed to good health, by mental and physical. My wife is extremely committed to healthy eating and exercise. She pushes me, but not to hard.

stacia said...

great BLOG grandpa! it is great to read your wonderful entries and insights! I am lucky to have such great examples of overall great health in my family. No one believes me when I brag about my grandparents and all the amazing things they do! You guys have sure set the standard high!

Cami said...

Grandpa! I don't think you've left out exercise. You have an exercise ROOM! I've always been inspired by you and grandma to keep healthy and fit. What a good example you are.

Janice Graham said...

Sometimes people think runners are trying to prolong their lives. That doesn't occur to me. I do it to improve my quality of life. I agree that it's better to live a good life than a long life, but that of course we should want both. I remember once sitting at your side yard table one summer not too long ago and you said your doctor asked you how many more years you wanted to live. You said, "Oh, at least 20." And he said, "Then you probably will." That struck me. I was pretty depressed at the time and I realized that a person should cherish this life, like you do, come what may. Thanks, Dad.

Chad and Bree Fowles said...

I will. I love you