Steve Graham sent me the dvd Mystery of Life. This is a documentary put together by a number of highly qualified scientists. They were brought together by Philip Johnson, Prof. of Law at my Alma mater. He has written a number of books the first of which was "Darwin on Trial" in which he exposes many of the logical flaws in the conclusions reached by Darwin in his books. I have corresponded with Philip and agree with his reasoning. He is not a scientist but is extrememly well qualified to point out logical flaws and fallacies in scientific reasoning.
When I first read "Origin of the Species" many years ago I was astonished that it was not more convincing, since so many "scientists" had jumped on the bandwagon. Darwin had no training in formal logic and it shows in his books. He jumps from very flimsy premises to grandiose conclusions not justified by the premises. Many other possible explanations can follow from his premises, and they do not necessarily lead to his conclusions. In logic this is known as fallacious reasoning. (I took a course in formal logic at UC Berkeley)
Prof. Johnson held a seminar at Parajo Dunes in Calif in 2000 in which a number of scientists participated including Michael Behe; Johathan Wells et.al. Out of the Seminar "Mystery of Life" was produced. I would recommend it. I have a spare dvd if anyone would like to see it and circulate it. It lasts about 40 minutes and convincingly shows that Darwin had no inkling of the complexity of the cell. He thought it was just a blob of protoplasm, but in fact, modern biochemistry and the electron microscope have shown it to be of enormous complexity, including chemical molecular "machines" which could not possibly have been formed by chance. It is pointed out that Darwin himself said: "If it can be shown that there is any part of living things that cannot have occurred by small changes over long periods of time, then my theory must necessarily fail." (Not an exact quote but I think his comment was even more emphatic)
Michael Behe's book "Darwins Black Box" points out that cells contain many "irreducibly complex" parts. This means that there could be no function unless all of the parts are put together at the same time. Jonathan Wells has written, "The Icons of Evolution" in which he points out that most all of the icons put forth by those espousing evolution, such as the famous embryo drawings, have been misrepresented or falsified. He also has a new book this year which I just read: "The Politically Incorrect Guide to Darwinian Evolution." Both Behe and Wells are Biochemist Phd's.
More Later
Tuesday, January 9, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Congratulations on the blog. I think you should put the little blurb wrote on the email at the top or somewhere in the blog. It kind of sets out the rules for anyone who sees it.
And of course, I love that "Unlocking the Mysteries of Life" show.
Here's the quote with reference. "If it could be demonstrated that any complex organ existed, which could not possibly have been formed by numerous, successive, slight modifications, my theory would absolutely break down." Charles Darwin, "On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life," 1859, p. 158.
Very interesting. How quickly can age-old truths be replaced by unproven theories!
Congratulations on your new blog. This will be a regular site to visit. I look forward to your thoughts.
I am going to learn a lot more about you and the world from this blog. Thanks for your thoughts. I can't wait for more.
I am so proud of you for learning how to blog. You actually inspired me to post on mine today. Mine is more trivial information, and a little long winded, but you can have a look if you want. As for your post, i don't know what is wrong with scientists and educators these days. Hopefully people will start to wise up!
Post a Comment