M is the last letter of the first half of the alphabet. It is also the title used for a bigwig in the British Secret Service. Could also refer to "Movies". They are much more available and easy to watch than years ago. I remember well when we would pay a dime to see a double feature Western with a cartoon on a Saturday afternoon.
As I have grown older it has been difficult to watch some movies. They seem to have a dozen sub-plots that are hard to follow. Some begin with interest and proceed to about halfway and then disintegrate into implausible or silly slapstick that destroys the plot (if it had any to begin with). Sorry to say I have walked out of a number of them in the middle or earlier.
Television brought movies into our homes but most are so cluttered with commercials that it is difficult to maintain connection with the progress of the movie. There are a few shown without commercial interruption but not often those we like to watch.
VCR and now the better DVD have brought movies into our homes without commercials. However, they are just not the same on the small screen. But now, thanks to the thoughtfulness of our posterity we have a home movie theater and can watch them on a big screen. Proportionately, the picture is as large from the 20 or so feet we are away from it as being in a large theater and watching on a bigger screen 100 feet away.
It is amazing how much more we are watching and enjoying movies now. We can choose what we would like to see through Netflix and watch whenever it is convenient. We have found that the old classics are a goldmine of good entertainment. My favorites so far are "Casablanca" and "Dial M For Murder." We watched Dial M last night and it met my test for a good movie: "One that holds my interest so well that I do not doze, even once." It has such a good plot and flows so evenly that there is no inclination to ever put it on Pause for a popcorn or restroom break.
Netflix has almost everything. I found that they have most all episodes of TV shows. I have put all the "Colombo" shows on my netflix queue and hope I live long enough to enjoy them. He was one of my favorites.
So, thanks to all of you, we have a delightful home theater in which we can enjoy the old (and newer) movies that entertain without offense. Looking forward to "A New Leaf", "Ship Of Fools" and some more Hitchcock Classics!
Sunday, March 25, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Yay for Columbo and Hitchcock! Jake is also on the quest for the perfect theater experience at home. Tivo has helped us get rid of those pesky commercials, but we're still so interrupted by calls from kids in bed that it's choppy to say the least. I usually have to end up recapping what we watched for Jake. I'm glad you're enjoying your big screen!
Columbo is on my top 5 TV shows of all time. Just a bit behind M*A*S*H. I bet the theater is fun. You have it setup in the game room, right?
Your post is "M"arvelous. I remember years ago you walking out of The Way We Were and I admired how you think for and take care of yourself. Reminds me of Thoreau who said we should be very careful what we allow in our minds.
I love Dial M. I've seen it several times and each time I forget what happens. (It's the LATCH KEY thing!) Just watched Ship of Fools. Great acting and foreshadowing. Columbo always cracks me up. Keep us posted about good old movies. The younger generations are missing out on them.
I blogged about a movie today, too. There's a postscript on it just for you. Love your blog, Dad!
Yes Matt, in the game room. We moved the pool table next to the spa and the ping pong table folded and covered outside. Thanks for your comment. I have mixed feelings about M*A*S*H probably because it is hard to write on the keyboard.
I mean, what would we do without movies? Thanks, Tom (Edison, who invented the motion picture).
I'm so glad you are enjoying the big screen at home. Barry has introduced our kids to some oldies that I was
amazed they have now rated as their favorites! Harold Lloyd (silent!)
Marx Brothers ,MASH is a biggie, In fact I am indebted to that show for helping Brad lose 20 lbs so far. He watches an episode while on the tread mill. (we have almost all the seasons) Wild Wild West, Brady Bunch(believe it or not)Last year Brad had a period when he wished our family could be more like the Bradys. Then he seriously made us call him by the name of "Peter" He's a little embarrassed about it now.I always love to read your blog,Dad!
Todd was wondering if you have had a chance to watch any golf on the big screen yet. We love it! We also love having "Black and White" movie night, but haven't had one in a while because Todd has instituted "New Release Night". Anyone who wants is welcome to come over and watch the newly released DVD of the week--provided there is actually a good one that comes out. Last week was Rocky and this week is Pursuit of Happiness which we heard is pretty good. It is exciting for us because we usually don't see movies in the theater anymore so they are all new to us!
Movies. They just don't make 'em like they used to. I love the old classics as well. What would you say is your favorite movie, if you just had to pick one?
Post a Comment