Sunday, March 11, 2007

Multiplication

After checking the basement chart I noted that there are 7 birthdays this month among the grandchildren and great grandchildren. The checks will be in the mail. Over the years I have enjoyed this small observance and though it is not much it seems to be appreciated.

The first commandment given was "multiply and replenish the earch." That is an interesting way to put it. Why not, "multiply and people the earth.?" There are many unknowns about the creation and one of them may be that the earth was peopled or used for other purposes in the wisdom of the creator before Adam and Eve began their sojourn here. Any way, that commandment is ignored by many these days who are only interested in their own selfish interests which do not include the rearing of children.

We have been blessed with a great posterity and we are proud of all of them - the near perfect and the imperfect included. Nothing has brought us greater satisfaction and happiness than seeing our posterity continue to keep the first commandment given to Adam and Eve. What a wonderful opportunity it is to be born into this earth and to be able to appreciate its beauty and abundance. It is not by chance that so many foods and materials are provided naturally which just happen to be things that are greatly beneficial to mankind. The earth is our home and it was designed to accomodate mankind but only if he worked to take advantage of the abundance provided.

So, we are celebrating the recent additions to the family and looking forward to greeting those who are on the way. "Children are a blessing and a joy unto the Lord. Happy is the man who hath his quivver full of them."

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Amen. Our quivver is full, and we feel blessed. We thank the Lord for all, those who came before and those after. I was just thinking and talking about the earth's bounty. I remember Emily and I once, upon passing a corn field, decided we wanted to estimate the number of ears of corn per acre. I think we came up with about 100,000. So, then 10 acres give a million ears. 10,000 acres, 1 billion ears. I mean, it boggles the mind, the bounty the Lord provided for on this earth. So, why in the world to the faithless hold sway with media and public opinion? Lord bless those who believe and follow that first commandment. I, for one, am surely glad you and Mom kept it, or how sad would I be without your second-born for my eternal loving companion.

Emily said...

Oh yes, your birthday checks are greatly appreciated. I always thought that after 19 years, the checks came to a hault. But you kind generosity has kept them coming still. I have wondered with all the new additions, or I should say multiplications or children, if you have ever regretted this tradition. You are a wonderful grandpa with or without the annual check and postit note. Maybe I'll just frame them from now on like you've always told me. I love our big families and wish everyone could be as lucky as we are.

mylittlegems said...

It is so wonderful to hear my grandpa- who I admire very much- express his gratitude for his posterity. I am so grateful to be a mom and have such great parents and grandparents as examples. I feel over-whelmed in my heart for the opportunities that come as a parent. And- your birthday notes, and checks are always very very appreciated!

scott said...

Thank you for the kind comments. I have no age limitation on the birthday gifts. I suspect they will continue for everyone until I can no longer sign checks. I have no regrets. On the contrary it is a blessing to able to do it.

Cami said...

Thank you grandpa! I look forward to the post-its attached as much as the checks! I'm grateful for my large and wonderful family.