Thursday, March 1, 2007

Food For Life

Some people eat to live and some people live to eat. Eating is pleasurable if one is in reasonably good health and it is a good thing that we have an appetite for food. Eating is necessary to life but it can be abused such that it can become a threat to health. Eating too much of such foods as flour and sugar and saturated fats can lead to overweight and general poor health.

There are many pundits in the media playing upon peoples need or desire to lose weight. Some even sell meals online claiming that if you eat only what they sell you, that you will lose weight. That may be true but why not do it yourself? I have found over the years that it is easy to keep my weight under control by following a few simple rules. By sticking to those rules it becomes easier to maintain a reasonable weight. What we persist in eating (and avoiding) tends to make us like or dislike things that are good for us or unhealthy.

For example, I have eaten little meat, other than fish, for years. I have also given up butter, margarine, cheese and milk and most desserts. Now I do not particularly like meat. I know that I feel better when not eating such foods. I much prefer a big salad. The bonus there is that you can eat as many vegetables as you can hold (excluding potatoes, yams and such) and not gain any weight. Most of them are very low calorie and 90% water. In fact, it is said that celery has zero calories because you use more energy chewing it than it contains. Fruits are higher in calories because of the fruit sugar but they contain many antioxidants valuable to good health and disease prevention. Bread should always be whole grain. The bran helps slow down assimilation of the carbohydrate that quickly turns to sugar and adds to weight. I love to make bread. Whole wheat and rye flour, flax meal and wheat bran; molasses; gluten and olive oil makes a great loaf. A diet high in sugar, flour, and animal fat grows on one such that one is not satisfied unless such foods are eaten. That accounts for the popularity of Big Macs and french fries and similar high fat, high carbohydrate foods. They really become an addiction for many and it shows. So, lets all eat wisely. Try it for awhile and it will grow on you and you will feel better about yourself. Just takes some self control like a lot of other things in life if we are to be happy and healthy. Many have found too, that losing weight has the added advantage of more energy making exercise enjoyable.

Just thought I would post a blog on food. The others that involve food seem to get a lot of comments.

6 comments:

Emily said...

You have always been an example of healthy eating to me. I used to think of food as a bad thing, as if it was out to get me. Now that I'm eating more balanced than I have in a long time, and feel more healty than I have in a long time, I realized that I have changed my way of thinking without hardly knowing it. I think of foods as something I need rather than something I shouldn't have. It's easier to get the right amount of nutrients that way. I only hope that my body is in half the shape of your's and Grandma's when I'm your age. You should be proud.

Cami said...

I definitely feel better when I am eating healthy foods. Whenever I decide to go "cold turkey" on sugar and breads, it is really hard. I can see that I have addictions. But once I break them, the hold food has over me is totally gone. I am no longer frustrated at what I can't eat--I am happy to eat what is best! My eating habits go in cycles, but I know what style definitely makes me feel better.

melody said...

Now that I am eating for two (well, the extra one is only a little over two pounds at this point) a healthy diet has become even more important to me. There are so many benefits to eating well. Thanks for the tips and the great reminder.

B Jensen said...

Actually... Belinda said...We are so pleased that Brad and Brian have been exercising daily now since Jan. Brad has lost several pounds and prides himself in his new found self control. He takes a slim fast drink for lunch and drinks water often. He vows that he will not let Brian get as big as he did. {poor Brian...he goes along with it too!) I have always believed that it takes simple self control (two words you don't hear nowadays)

mylittlegems said...

Amen! I realized that we eat pretty healthy, when Landon turned down the cheap wheat bread that is just colored, because we always eat the REAL wheat stuff, and chicken nuggets! He does not care for chicken nuggets at all! All my friends talk about how their children love "McDonald's chicken nuggets" and it really makes me sick. So I tried once to get Landon to try one- and it looked at it disgustedly and said, "no". However, he is a little addicted to anything sweet- especially banana bread, and ice cream or yoguart, which we really need to eat less. Following the word of wisdom is really a blessing!

Unknown said...

I have always been inspired by your good nutritional principles and habits, and your dedication in adhering to them. Obviously, you're the living example of the results of such dedication. Lord bless you, and keep it up.