Wednesday, April 18, 2007

MOAB


Two four letter words have been important in my life. The first is GUAM and the second is MOAB. We first started going to Moab on a regular basis when Mike and Leslie decided to start a Music Festival in Moab. I believe it was 1992. The first meeting was in the Poplar Place. Hank Rutter was there and pledged $2500 to get things started. The first season was 1993. The budget for this year is about $500k. It has been a big success. There will be another big award from the Governor in Sept.

Since we knew we would be going there on a regular basis we decided to buy a condo. We moved into it in Dec. 1994. Mike had bought one the previous year. We have all enjoyed its use over the years. In Mar. 1995 I was hired as Deputy Grand County Attorney a position in which I am still serving. The Condo has been of value in serving the County as well as a great place to go and relax and attend the Music Festival.

We were last there April 13-16. I had County work on Monday. While there we played 9 holes of golf and walked in Arches NP. As you all know there are many petroglyphs and pictographs on the rocks around Moab. The first is generally used to describe an etching in rock and the latter a painting or drawing. There are some just up the road from the Condo and more in the valley NE of the golf course.

On our walk in Arches (North in Courthouse Wash) we followed some fresh footprints. I opined that there was a man and a girl just ahead of us by the size and freshness of the prints in the sandy Wash. We noticed where they had left the Wash to look at a large flower and then returned. We came upon a "Sandoglyph" of a camel. When we caught up with them they were on their way back. It was a young man and a girl. We joked about the drawing in the sand, and went on further as they returned. On the way back we found more drawings - a big lizard and a bird's head, drawn for our benefit. Helped make the walk more enjoyable. There are many great walks in and around Moab and Arches. If you haven't tried the Corona Arch walk you should try it. You start about 10 miles up Potash Road. It is about a mile and a half each way and easier than the walk to Delicate Arch (which everyone has done)

So, Moab is a big part of our lives in our sunset years and we are very appreciative of the the Condo and the help that Mike and Blake have been by buying an interest in it. All are welcome when it is available . We have the schedule and try to accomodate.

7 comments:

Emily said...

I miss Moab a lot. I wish we lived closer to visit more. I'm sure we all have sp many great memories of that place. Thanks for the cute story. I bet you'd make a good detective. I'm glad you had a nice time.

Matt said...

Haha. I love the sandoglyphs. That some great detective work. We enjoyed staying at your condo once when we went before jack was born. It was march, and it snowed while we were there!

Cami said...

Cool sandoglyphs. Jake and I had some fun getaways at the condo. It was always so nice of you to lend it! Maybe someday we'll be close enough again.

B Jensen said...

We are in Moab as I type this! It is quite cool today. Britney and I played tennis and she and Barry have a tee time at 1:20. It is so relaxing here. We do appreciate your continual generosity in letting us stay!

melody said...

Moab has become an important four letter word in my life too, I only wish Guam was as well! (Maybe someday I will visit the island my mom talks so much about.) Anyway, we love to visit - especially when you and Grandma are there. We will have to play tennis again sometime soon. Jonny and I will soon be ready for a rematch.

mylittlegems said...

I miss Moab, I miss mountain biking, I miss hiking, I miss Logan, and I miss the green grass of UT. But mostly I miss the people I will never see that live there, because no one wants to come to Tucson to see us- at least it looks that way. And who knows when we will be able to afford to go to UT. You gave us great memories because of the MOAB condo and Logan too- lots of great memories.

Amber said...

Thanks for letting Todd stay last week. He had a great time at his "Contractor continuing ed classes" and golfing!