Thursday, February 15, 2007

Pomegranates

I have always liked pomegranats but they are difficult to eat. However, I have learned much about them of late which makes them easier to eat and enjoy and appreciate.

When I started becoming more interested in them I found that I was incorrect in reducing the name to 3 syllables. Julia pointed out that "Pomegranate" is a four syllable word and not as I had assumed "Pomegrante". They have been around for a long time, being one of the fruits mentioned in the old testament along with figs and dates. Remains of pomegranates have also been found in Egyptian tombs.

What caught my attention is a study that shows that pomegranate juice tends to slow down
the advance of prostate cancer. It is also said to be good for the heart and the arteries. Let me quote from Rivana Health Publications which I subscribe to.

"There is actually a lot of data to support health claims about this fruit. Pomegranate's potential impact on your health is sufficiently large to warrant a detailed discussion. In addition to prostate cancer, studies have shown benefit in terms of total cholesterol, hypertension, coronary artery blood flow, and the severity of arteriosclerosis. In laboratory models, extracts of this fruit have shown activity against fungus, bacteria, virus and parasite infections. It has also reduced the severity of Alzheimer's disease."

Since pomegranate's contain sugar like other fruit and I try to keep sugar intake down, I have found that there are reduced sugar concentrates available. I have one I got at Sam's Club called Naturally Pomegranate and others are available online. You only take an ounce a day mixed with water or diet soda. The one I use says that one ounce is equivalent to the juice of 15 pomegranates. The juice is also available in most supermarkets under the name of POM Wonderful. That is not hype. A variety of Calif. Pomegranate is named "Wonderful." I have used this but usually dilute it with water since it is quite strong. It is expensive, costing about $5 a pint. The concentrate I use costs $17 a quart but you only use an ounce a day so it lasts a month.

Nevertheless the whole fruit is probably best when available. The season is Oct-Dec. in Calif. They keep as well as apples in the refrigerator. When I have fresh ones I eat the fruit along with the soft seed inside. I find that it chews up easily and makes the fruit easier to eat.

Just thought I would share this information. When something natural seems to have exceptional health benefits, it is better to try it than resort to prescription drugs. The latter almost always have adverse side affects, while natural foods seldom do.

8 comments:

Emily said...

I also love pomegranates. I also think they are difficult to eat, until I realized it's not so bad to eat the seeds. The seeds probably have added health benefits too. They are so pretty that they are used in a lot of up scale restaurants as garnish. We actaully had one the other day. I also got some juice when I was sick a couple months ago and you're right, it's strong. I mixed it with OJ and it was pretty good.

Cami said...

Pomegranates are so yummy. I always get frustrated by squeezing the tinsy bits of juice out one little berry at a time when I eat them. I had some pomegranate tea the other day, but I'll have to try the juice--probably more what I'm looking for.

melody said...

Yes, pomegranates are a special treat. I found out the hard way years ago that the juice stains don't come out. Be careful! (Actually, Em is a whiz at removing stains. She may know how to do it!)

Janice Graham said...

Thanks for the info. Pomegranates are one of my childhood memories. Whenever they appeared in the grocery store I begged Mom to buy me one. Sometimes I bought one for myself at that little market on Piedmont Ave. Eating a pomegranate was more of an event than a snack. You had to have paper towels and a cup for the seeds.I loved to take my time carefully opening up the fruit, detaching the bright red plump little jewels from their beds and squeezing them against my teeth, each releasing a tiny burst of tart juice. What kid doesn't love a pomoegranate? I found it interesting that down in Virgin, Utah where Fae lives they grow profusely. She had bowls full of them in her house and used them as centerpieces at Brent's funeral luncheon. I never saw so many pomegranates!

scott said...

I appreciate the comments and the information. Does anyone know where I can get some fresh ones out of season? Since apples are available year round maybe Poms are too. I will try on the internet.

Emily said...

They have a whole bin of them at my local grocery store for about $1.50 each. Maybe it's different on the east coast, but I'm sure they would have a couple in the section of produce that are more like specialty items. Good luck.

stacia said...

grandpa scott- clint here, the peeling of the pom is all in the thumbs. i grew up with 2 pomegranate trees in my yard, they are my most favorite fruit. if you happen to find them out of season, let me know! a funny story about pomegranates... a 50-yr. old friend of mine had never seen one and BIT right into it like an apple... it was a bitter sweet experience for him! We had a good laugh.

Lili and Jeff said...

Pomegranates are delicious! During the season, I was sure to buy two or three at a time, and my friends would always giggle when they saw my reddish fingers (I enjoy spitting out the seeds. It adds a fun challenge to the experience.) I can't wait until they are back in season! I am constantly on the watch. it is such a perfect snack! It occupies your time, and you feel like your accomplishing something by eating them, and they are so healthy!