Fill in the blank for this quote from an eminent scientist: "Global __________ presents humankind with the most important social, political, and adaptive challenge we have had to deal with for ten thousand years. Your stake in the decisions we make concerning it is of ultimate importance; the survival of ourselves, our children, our species." You may have guessed that "warming" is not the word though it sounds like it should be based on recent pontifical pronouncements. The statement was made in 1976 by Lowell Ponte about Global Cooling - the anxiety arouser then in vogue in the scientific world.
The fact is that not all qualified scientists are on the bandwagon, though they are vilified and ridiculed if they don't go along with the "concensus." Timothy Bell, who has a Phd in Climatology says flat out that he has studied climate changes over the years and that Global Warming is not due to any human contribution of carbon dioxide. He says: "This is in fact the greatest deception in the history of science." (I doubt that it outranks evolution.) "We are wasting time, energy and trillions of dollars while creating unnecessary fear and consternation over an issue with no scientific justification."
Another voice crying out of the wilderness is that of Richard Linzen, Professor of Meteorology and Physics at MIT. He frequently speaks out against the notion that significant Global Warming is caused by humans. Yet nobody seems to listen. Like a lot of other proponents of politically correct current issues the advocates simply will not listen to contrary views. Rather than debate the issues they attack personally those who disagree. This is true in the areas of homosexuality, and evolution as well as Global Warming
Bell goes on to say: "Until you have challenged the prevailing wisdom you have no idea how nasty people can be.Until you have re-examined any issue in an attempt to find out all the information, you cannot know how much misinformation exists in the supposed age of information." (See my verse in "What Do We Know")
My thanks to Steve Graham for calling Bell's article to my attention. As I told him it all boils down to a lack of faith. In a Godless society one must try to do everything to "save" humankind since no one else is looking out for them. It must be extremely stressful to think that we have to take care of such grandiose things as climate change, when with just a little faith one can rest assured that the Creator knows what is going on. The earth and its climate will continue to accomodate humans as long as the Creator, in His wisdom, wishes the earth to continue to be our abode.
Tuesday, February 6, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Oh I agree! Every time I see Al Gore on TV doing his global warming speeches, I get all worked up. It's as if we can actually change something about it if it was really happening. I'd like to see his, or any other activist's face when people have done all they can do on the subject and nothing has changed. Heavenly Father will do what he will, and we just need to believe that.
Finally! That's what I've been wanting to say! But, when I try, it comes out as "Nuh Uh!"
Great points. Really great.
Go Dad! It seems that consensus equals truth in today's world. But you are right--tell the truth and they resort to ad hominem attacks. Like Neil Whitehead said at the NARTH conference: in chess, when you're losing, complicate the game. So, that is what they do. Rather than face the facts, just get a bunch of people on your side making a lot of noise. I say follow the money.
I've heard people say, "Do you believe in global warming?" But I don't think that's the issue. Global warming may be occurring, but I don't believe we have anything to do with it. Not to say we shouldn't take care of the planet by recycling and cleaning things up, but come on. Something on a global scale would take much more than we puny little humans to make much of a difference.
Beautiful piece, Dad. I think the whole global warming issue is politically driven -- to keep the public fearful and dependent on the government. It sounds like something from Orwell's 1984 which I recently reread.
Thanks Dad for writing on this. I have always believed global warming was just another extreme idea that liberals use to put fear into people.
I'm sharing this with all my kids. There is too much publicity on the side of making this an accepted theory.
I can't say that I know much about global warming. I don't know if it is a bunch of political hogwash or if it is real. But I don't think it is the real issue. I believe that Heavenly Father created this beautiful Earth that we, His children, might have a moral sphere on which to make choices. We are here to exercise our agency in truthful and loving ways. We can use our agency to obey the same Father in Heaven who told Adam and Eve to multiply and replenish the earth. This does not refer only to having children,but it also refers to putting back where you have taken.
Shouldn't we regard the Earth as a form of a temple, as we regard our bodies as temples? We are instructed to avoid polluting our bodies with drugs,alcohol,and tobacco. We are to use our bodies in ways that would show respect for and preserve them. Should we not use the Earth in the same way? I don't think we need to worry about what political parties or officials say about global warming. Why don't we just listen to Heavenly Father and respect His creation.
I agree that we have a stewardship for the earth, as far as we have the personal power to act in that stewardship. However, I think that we have not only the opportunity, but the responsibility to pay attention to what politicians and parties want to do, and try to have an effect on them. If we stand by doing nothing, or only wringing our hands, decisions may be made which take away our agency and our right to act in our roles as stewards. So we must be aware and involved.
Post a Comment