Monday, February 5, 2007

Cruising

We returned from our 15th annual cruise last night at midnight. Julia just does't think her year is complete without a cruise so she financed this one with her social security money.
We left Friday Jan 26 and stayed 2 nights at Marriott Courtyard near the Ft. Lauderdale Airport. Expensive but nice and Julia likes to build up the points for future free stays at Marriott.
The shuttle to the Port was free and only a 4 mile ride. Ft. Lauderdale is rapidly becoming the major cruise port mostly due to its convenience. There were six ships about to leave when we got there. Our ship was the Costa Magica, 105,000 tons of luxury. It is Italian so there were lots of pasta dishes, but the food was excellent with lots of fresh vegies, fish, and other things we like. You can board and enjoy the ship 4-5 hours before departure, including lunch just after you are assigned your room.
As it turned out our cruise this year was not long planned. I arranged it on the internet about 2 weeks before we left - having been given specific instructions from she who must be obeyed before she left for Chile. I found that the best deals are often last minute. We got a balcony room for about $1,000 less than we have paid for a window room. The problem was in making the air connections. American had the best fare but we had to leave at midnight and they had no flight out of Ft. Lauderdale on return except 6 am. which was too early. We ended up going on Southwest via Chicago. (It was 10 deg. below in Chicago on our return).
Some advice for future cruisers: Do not let them regiment you. They try to sell shore excursions at exorbitant prices ($80-$100 per person for a few hours). We go on our own and if we need a ride hire a taxi for much less.
They also like everyone to go to the formal dining. We have enjoyed some of that but it is best with people you know. If you are only a couple the long two hour dinners can be a grind. We prefer the informal buffet dining available for all meals. Bigger selection, better food and much more leisurely and enjoyable. We have had some interesting table mates at formal dining but some can only talk about themselves. Definition of a bore: one who constantly talks about themselves when you want to be talking about yourself..
Belinda, Barry & family went on a Disney Cruise this past week and had a great time. We have been on Royal Carrib.; Celebrity; Princess; Holland America; Carnival to name a few. Some cater mostly to the young crowd - e.g. Carnival and their shows reflect that. Holland America and Celebrity cater more to the aging, like us. However, I can honestly say I have never been on a cruise that I did not enjoy. It is a great way to go - hope you can all try it sometime.

7 comments:

mylittlegems said...

Well I get sea sick really easy and so I don't think we will be crusing anytime soon- maybe that is one of life's luxuries I will do without :) Glad to see you are back, because we missed the blogs.

Emily said...

Sounds great! I also love cruises but I think they are especailly fun with bigger groups so you can all eat together. Like you said, it's better to eat with familiar faces. Next year, let us know where you go and we'll join.

Unknown said...

I agree with you on the dinner mates. Trying to make small talk for two hours is, well, trying. I enjoy cruising and seeing the new places and being on the ocean. One has a tendency to become jaded after a week of being pampered. One of the best times Jan and I ever had was just floating flat on our backs, holding hands in the beautiful warm water of Seven Mile beach on Grand Cayman. Glad you had a good time, and welcome back.

Cami said...

I agree about the Carnival cruises, except I was on my honeymoon, and I STILL thought they catered to too young a crowd--or maybe just too immature. I don't know. I'd rather go on the family cruises, fun for all ages. Next time we do a cruise, it will probably be Disney.

Jake especially likes the 24 hour pizza bar, and I love the breakfast buffet. Mmmmmmm . . .

Glad to have you back!

Janice Graham said...

Dad! We missed your blogs. I had none to send to Drew this week. Glad you had a nice cruise. I would go again if to someplace different. Love the fresh fruit and reading on the deck.

Matt said...

Welcome back! We've been wondering how young is too young for a kid to go on a cruise. Even if we find a kid-friendly one like Disney or something...6? 8? 10?

Belinda said...

YES We had a great time on the Disney Wonder. It was great for families and a very wholesome environment. I loved being on the ocean. I was a little sick at first but the dramamine did the trick. We played shuffled board on the starboard deck, viewed "The Prestige". "Deja Vu" and The Guardian, as well as two broadway quality live shows-Hercules the "Muse"ical and Dreams. We LOVED Disney's private island, "Castaway Cay" in the Bahamas and spent a day there in paradise on the adult and family beaches.The Flying Dutchman from the movie,"Pirates..." is parked there. The Wonder was amazing and we all hated to get off! We're already talking about going on another one. We joined the Disney Vacation Club that is a time share deal and it includes the cruises.