Thursday, April 24, 2008

Buckets

Buckets are common objects widely used for a number of purposes. When milking a cow, if the cow "kicks the bucket" you lose all of the milk. That phrase has come into wide use to mean that when one leaves this life he "kicks the bucket." Just one of the many little idioms that creep into the language and are so commonly used that everyone understands what is meant. (Except for English learners who understandably have trouble with idioms).

"The Bucket List" is the name of a recent movie we enjoyed. Julia talked me into going at the theater - the first time in many months I have gone to a movie in a theater. To my surprise it was a pleasant experience. The movie held my attention from beginning to end. It stars Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freemen. They are both in a hospital owned by Nicholson, a billionaire. He is also eccentric and does not believe patients should have private rooms so he moves in with Freeman. Both men have been diagnosed with terminal disease and have only about a year to live. Nicholson notices that Freeman is compiling a list and asks what it is. Freeman replies that it is a "bucket list" of the things he needs to do or would like to do before he "kicks the bucket." Nicholson likes the idea and since he has sufficient funds the rest of the movie consists of the things they do and the places they go together. They also take care of some personal relationship problems that have been deferred over time. It makes a great movie - not only enjoyable but with a message especially for those in the December of their lives.

Several of you have commented that you have noticed the hiatus in my Posts. That motivated me to get going again and this is the first of what I hope to be a new string of Posts whenever I can think of a topic. I have been extra busy the past few weeks with Grand County work which is a blessing in disguise. The work is enjoyable and they seem to appreciate what I do.

We have appreciated the recent family get togethers occasioned by the return of Bryce and Drew. It is good to see everyone. We hope that many of you can get up this way now that the weather is improving (whatever happened to Global warming?). I have a few tasks awaiting those who have offered to help.

10 comments:

Emily said...

What a treat it was to hear from you again. I often think about you and pray for your well being. I am anxious to see that movie. It looked pretty touching in the preview, and I completely trust in your expert opinion that it is well made. We'll make sure to put it at the top of our list.

I wish I was there to spend time with you two, like the old days. I can't wait to see you at Elise's wedding, as I presume you will be there. I also want to take a trip to Logan, if that's where you'll be. So I'm bound to see you one of these day, right! Love you.

Cami said...

YAY! A new post. I was wondering about that movie, I'll have to give it a try.

About idioms, children with Autism have a very hard time understanding them as well. They have books that illustrate both the literal and the figurative meanings to help them understand. They are quite entertaining. Really all children, or ESL speakers, could use them.

I'm looking forward to seeing you in May!

melody said...

Thanks for posting, Grandpa! I always love to know of a good film. We will netflix that one for sure. It has been so great to see you two as well. Please tell Grandma that Jonny thanks her again for the BIG bag of cookies. (And I thank her too, as he has been kind enough to share.) See you again soon!

Unknown said...

Yes, welcome back to the blogosphere. This from one who doesn't even have a blog, but who really enjoys reading yours. Jan and I thought we should have come up to visit you today, but thought of it when it was to late for the round trip plus visit. We will have to go see the movie, or watch instantly on Netflix. We've been thinking on things eternal lately, as our former bishop Dan Wilson, in his late forties, has recently been operated on for a brain tumor which is going to send him to that nether realm ere long. Always good to maintain preparedness for that eventuality, as "December" comes earlier for some of us than expected. We look forward to your future blogs, and should visit with you and maybe provide seeds for new material.

Drew said...

Hey, Grandpa! I'm so glad to be able to keep up with your blogging now! I have so enjoyed reading your past and present posts. This movie sounds really interesting, and I'm glad you enjoyed your rare experience of going to the theater. I'm so glad to know that you are keeping busy and optimistic when trials come along, a great inspiration!

By the way, I am now fully into the blogging business myself! Check out mine if you have the time.

Amber said...

Yay Grandpa is back! I think I remember seeing the previews for that movie. We will have to check it out! I have planned about 4 races with Grandma in Logan in the next few month. So, you will be seeing us quite a bit!

mylittlegems said...

yeah! I new post from Grandpa! love you!! Sharla

mylittlegems said...

maybe I can talk Aaron into coming up for a weekend and helping out! We'll see what our pocketbook says. Loved the post and now I must see the movie!! We really miss you guys!!

Amber said...

Hey grandpa, we finally watched that movie and loved it! Funny and thought provoking.

iamegyptian2100 said...





شركة شحن عفش من الرياض الي الامارات-دبي
شركة شحن من الرياض الى الامارات
شركة شحن من الرياض الى الامارات
شركة شحن من الرياض الي الامارات
شركة نقل اثاث من الرياض الى الامارات
شركة شحن من الرياض الي الامارات
شركة شحن من الرياض الي الامارات
شركة شحن من الرياض الي الامارات