Friday, January 18, 2008

RAIN

Rain is one of our greatest blessings. Surely we could not live without it. It's abundance, or lack thereof, is one of the many checks and balances that make life as we know it possible. If it precipitated ten times as much worldwide, or ten times less, (either is possible) life could not exist. Yet we take it for granted. Everything is so finely set and governed so as to make our lives possible that we tend to say: "well, that is just the way things are. What a lucky chance for us that things turned out as they did." More nonsense. It is all well planned and determined and we should appreciate what we have.

Rain tends to fall predictably according to topography and geography. For example the high mountains of Kauai in Hawaii get as much as 600 inches a year - said to be the wettest spot on earth. Just a few miles to the west of them on the same island is a barren beach desert getting about 10 inches a year. The Clouds from the Pacific Ocean pass over the coast and condense when they reach the mountains. Another wet spot is Samoa getting in some areas 200 t0 300 inches a year.

We decided to watch "Rain" tonight for three reasons: 1. It has been here several days as I have not felt up to watching anything. 2. It is based on a story by W. Somerset Maugham, an author we both enjoy. 3. We have been to Samoa and have enjoyed the downpours and are very familiar with the Pago Pago port and buildings where the Movie takes place.

Walter Houston and Joan Crawford are great in the lead roles. We were amazed about how much of the detail we had forgotten since we last watched it many years ago. It is really a timeless movie with a message that can be watched frequently. For those who have not seen it I will not reveal the plot or the outcome. It takes place in the 1920's when a ship bound for Apia in Western Samoa stops at Pago Pago due to a man having cholera. Apia is only 80 miles from Pago Pago. There are only about a dozen passengers on the ship and the movie involves their interaction and what happens during the ten days or so they are there whilc it rains almost constantly. The Movie was made in the 1930's and was one of Joan Crawfords' first so it is in black and white and shows her as a very young woman.

Feeling better for the first time in over a week since my radiation sessions ended. We are thankful for that and hope that things can now get back to normal. Enjoy and appreciate the precipitation of all kinds!

6 comments:

Emily said...

Oh Grandpa, I am so glad to hear you are feeling better. We think about and pray for you often and wish we could see you more.

I also love the rain. People think I'm crazy when I say it, but I always do. In fact, in a recent rain storm, I made KC come with me for a drive to...nowhere, really. Just to watch the sheets of rain flow down the windshield. It just has a nice cleansing feeling to it. Especially when it's warm rain on a nice overcast day. I like to just take a nice long walk when it's like that.

melody said...

Yes, good to hear that you are feeling well! I have my mom's copy of Somerset Maugham's short stories and am loving reading them every now and then. I will read "Rain" next!

Like Em, I love a rainy day too. I miss the rainstorms during the winter time, but the snow is something to be thankful for as well. (It's just SOOOO cold these days!)

Cami said...

I'm glad to hear you're feeling back to normal. Good luck.

I've never heard of "Rain." I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the recommendation.

Unknown said...

Jan and I happened to copy "Rain" off the TCM network a while back, watched it , and put it on a DVD. Will lend it to any who want watch it. We were spellbound. It reeks with atmosphere. And now I read that it apparently was shot on location, and Mom and Dad know the place! Wow!

And, as to the rainfall discussion, just another example of all things testifying of God. And how sad for those who trust in the arm of the flesh and set at naught the knowledge of God. As for me? I stand all amazed . . .

Lili and Jeff said...

You just know so much information Grandpa! I can't believe it rains that much in some places... imagine, 600 inches... My star!

Wonderful to hear that you are feeling better!

Janice Graham said...

I love that movie, too, for the sheer ambiance of it. And I like the meaning, too -- how no man is immune to falling (?). Dad, you write so beautifully.

So glad you're feeling better. That took a long time. Anytime you'd like visitors let us know and we'll buzz up. I am having interesting experiences in my classes. See my blog!