Thursday, August 23, 2007

NAMES

We often underestimate the importance of names. Parents often select a name that they like or that they think is "cute" for a child without a thought about the fact that the child will carry the name throughout its life. Imagine being stuck with "Hortense" or "Gay". (Modern trends have robbed us of what were once beautiful and descriptive names or words). Fortunately, the legal system does provide for a name change and some people take advantage of it. One who should have is the man whose shingle said: "A. Shyster, Lawyer." Someone asked him why he did not put his full first name on the shingle. He said: "It would not help. My first name is Adam."

Robert Burns said: "What's in a name? A rose by any other name would smell as sweet." That may be true, but not entirely. What if a rose was named "skunk flower"? Just so, we need to carefully consider names and how they will be received by others throughout ones life.

Whether we like it or not our names help to describe us. We tend to like and select names of people in the family, or names of people that we admire or respect. For this reason I am deeply flattered by the fact that some of the children and grandchildren have selected my name for some of their children. Julia is likewise impressed by the use of her name.

As most of you know, I was named after a famous person, Sir Walter Scott, author of Ivanhoe and other stories. He so loved his beautiful home "Abbotsford" that he poured all of his money into it and was saved from bankruptcy only by his prolific writing. I guess my parents used the name because Walter was my fathers first name and they liked "Scott" as I do. Many now have two last names or two first names as they are often interchanged. At a seminar I am attending at USU to get required education time, the attorney next to me is Grant Charles.

Can't think of any "bad" names in our family. Lets hope that we all live so that our "good" names will be remembered and used by future generations.

10 comments:

Emily said...

I have to ask the parents the names of their newborns each day before I take their picture. It's amazing how many different names the African American culture can come up with. A popular thing ot do it combin the parents name. For instance Tyrell-the father, Larnique-the mother, Tyrique-the baby. Even with normal names like Brittany they'll make it their own by spelling it Bryt`ne, or something like that. I think in their minds the possibilities are endless as far as names go. It's very popular to name the baby, male or female, Nevaeh, heaven backwards. Or even Precious Gift. Sometimes I have to hold back the laughter. One that really caught my attention the other day was Mi`angel (my angel). I wish I'd made a list.

mylittlegems said...

Well - we love you two and I have always wanted to name my children after you... Tanner Scott- maybe someday will go by Scott if he prefers, and we will tell him of his wonderful Great Grandpa Scott who he was named after. I always like to use family names- to remind me of our/my great heritage.

Cami said...

Yes, names are funny. I have always wanted to give my children names with meanings. I tried doing literary names, but it seems I have sort of smooshed the meanings into names I already like. Jefferson is supposedly after Thomas Jefferson (who after all did write some important documents), and Ethan is sadly sort of named after Ethan Frome from the tragic Edith Wharton novel. I have literary names picked out if I ever have girls too.

B Jensen said...

HI Gramps this is bree on my fathers computer. if i had the internet i would frequent your blog more! I wanted to tell you that if and when we have a son some day we want to use walter!! names are so much more meaningful when they are shared or inspired by a great person!!!

melody said...

How very true your statements are. I saw some crazy names in the elementary school classes I student-taught in. It was always difficult if I couldn't tell a girl's name from a boy's on the role sheet. I have always planned on giving my children classic, simply-spelled, gender-appropriate names!

Unknown said...

Speaking of names, Andy and I are interested where you got the names you gave your own children?

Amber said...

Man, ridiculous names are one of my biggest pet peeves! Someone in Katy's class is named "Quest." I guess you can just pick any old verb or noun these days and turn it into a name. Yikes!

scott said...

In answer to Suzanna'a question, Julia picked all of the names. I made some suggestions. Michael Scott was named for me and his grandfather Heber Michael. The girl's are just names she liked as were Clark & Blake. Blake's second name is for Edmund Ellsworth, her great grandfather. and Clarks second name is Walter.

Unknown said...

Your writings always cause me to think back and consider what I feel about your topic. I am grateful for my name, too. It just makes you wonder why people name their children things that will be troublesome later. Like James J. James. That kind of thing. Not to mention the current fad of making them up out of nothing, spelling common names in uncommon ways, or shoving two names together to make one.

Janice Graham said...

I was told that I was named for a friend of Mom's who died in a car crash. And also that Cath and I were named similar to our cousins Caryn and Janet of the same ages just for fun. Which it was! We were the CBs and the JBs that one summer in Hawaii when we were around 13 and 11.