As long as I am writing about "M"s why not Music? My first recollection of music is my mother singing to me as I sat on her lap. She had a beautiful alto voice and sang many songs that I have never forgotten. Among them: "Springtime in the Rockies", "Long Long Trail a Winding" . "Old Mill Stream", and "That Old Gang of Mine." Many of those songs were repopularized by Mitch Miller and the Gang. She loved to listen to them, as I do.
I have never understood the appeal of "Rock" music, especially the kind of "music" it has degenerated into. The Beetles are credited, along with Elvis, with starting the trend but their music was nothing like the hard rock one tries avoid hearing today. They had many beautiful melodies that I still enjoy listening to, such as "Michelle", "Yesterday", from the Beetles and even "You Ain't Nothin but a Hound Dog" from Elvis.
In my youth I enjoyed the dance bands and many singers such as Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin. I still enjoy their singing - so relaxed and harmonious. Never get tired of "My Way'" "Something Stupid", and similar songs from Frank and "That's Amore" and other Italian favorites from Dean. Then there is Nat King Cole- always enjoy "Unforgettable" and others he sang.
Then came along such as Simon & Garfunkle with "Troubled Waters" and the Carpenters with a number of hits. Karen is probably my favorite female singer - maybe because I think my Mothers voice was somewhat like hers.
In the evenings, on my walks, I always take a radio with headphones and listen to the local "Memories" station which plays all of the above from time to time along with a lot of other good music from the last half of the 20th Century. I find myself walking in time with the music and it adds to the enjoyment of the walk.
Since Mike became a musician at an early age I have taken a greater interest in the classical music of Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert and others, and have learned to appreciate it. His dedicating Bach's "Air on a G String" to me at one of the Colorado River Concerts was a highlight for me of the great Moab Music Festival. I had told him it was my favorite classical melody.
It seems to me that among many there is a revival of the great and beautiful music of the past. Let us hope that we never lose our love for it. I would hope also, that some of the loud, raucous, and profane noises called "Music" today may soon disappear and be forgotten.
Friday, April 20, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Good comments Grandpa. I also don't like where some of the popular music is going these days. My tastes are pretty broad when it comes to music, but it seems the louder it gets, the less I like it.
The sad thing is, pop/rock music doesn't seem to be driven by talent anymore. Having a talent for writing music, or working at an instrument doesn't get you very far these days. Music is being spoon fed to the world by corporations who "decide" to make a band or a sound popular. Where is the next legend? The next Sinatra, or Kelly or even Elvis?
There is nothing like a good melody. I love "Michelle" too, and always chose that as my French name in my French classes. I find as I grow older, I appreciate "real" music more and more. I remember being absolutely surprised at myself the first time I turned down the music in the car--I thought I'd always like it loud and obnoxious. But I guess we all grow up sometime.
I love this post, and I love your blog! I think I shall go listen to some good music now. Thanks for the insights!
I've always been grateful to parents who raised us on good tunes, like those you mentioned. I hope to do the same for my children.
I heard Leonard Bernstein one time talking about "perfect songs", which he described as being those which were composed exactly the way nature, or God, intended them to be. Not forced together, or constructed by following a formula. His example of a perfect song was "yesterday" by Paul McCartney of the Beatles. I also love how some music is a natural carrier for the Spirit of the Lord. When your heart is right, hearing certain music will open a conduit seemingly straight to heaven, and the Spirit comes in and revelation follows. And I love how eternal truths can be found unexpectedly in music, where the author/composer didn't know they were imparting it. We call it "unintended truth." And some songs can be about Jesus, the Gospel, etc., simply by changing your paradigm as you listen. Maybe "If I Should Lose My Way" is an example. And The Beatles' "The Long and Winding Road" is a perfect example.
I also remember my Mom singing to us at night as she sewed and we fell asleep. Some of the songs were primary songs that are still my favorite today. Like Dad said, I find unintended truths in all kinds of songs--even some of these not so crazy newer groups that Todd likes. He appreciates all genres of music from classical to rock! It was fun to read about your favs!
Dad, you made many musical memories for me, too. You took such pride in the stereo. The Mitch Miller records were fun because you enjoyed them so much, and then there were the soothing clarinet records that inspired you to take lessons and learn to play. Oh, the duets you and Mike played, sitting in the library in the Piedmont house. Whose dad does that? Wow. Even the Mad magazines with the sing-to-the-tune-ofs in them that we memorized. (Mike will remember them word for word I'm sure.) Also, you gave me my first transistor radio and always made sure I had a radio by my bed.I liked to sit by you in church and hear you singing in your deep voice.
By the way, Melody and I,recovering with the new baby yesterday afternoon, happened to see a cute movie on TV with Dean Martin and Judy Holladay in it, Bells Are Ringing. It has the famous song, "The Party's Over." I love to see where songs came from.
Post a Comment